Cycling along the Tyne

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Glad to find this website and hoping that there are some fellow amateur cyclists from my area. In need of advice regarding commuting from Ryton to Newcastle (St James area) - hazards to watch out for and what to expect...

Glad to find this website and hoping that there are some fellow amateur cyclists from my area. In need of advice regarding commuting from Ryton to Newcastle (St James area) - hazards to watch out for and what to expect...
Afraid i dont know your area but welcome to CC anyway. There will be some helpful peeps along shortly who will point you in the right direction.All the best Mike.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Hi @Little Rach. You can head to Newburn Bridge, then take an immediate right turn onto he Hadrian Cycle Route. It'll take you off road all the way into town, at which point you can head up St James's Boulevard. I think there's a cycle lane all the way up.

I can't see any other way, the path on the south side of the Tyne is not as well made and looks longer.

The Hadrian's path is direct, although it does take you across Scotswood Road a couple of times.

The path runs next to the Tyne, so you would need to veer north off it somewhere near the Arena - a bit of trial and error will be required to establish the best sequence of turns.

You could turn left a bit earlier opposite the Ford garage, and then right at the top of the bank towards St James's Boulevard.

But the left turn is a bit of a climb which you don't have to do if you stay on the path/Scotswood Road and turn nearer the Arena.

OP
OP
Little Rach

Little Rach

Regular
Hi @Little Rach. You can head to Newburn Bridge, then take an immediate right turn onto he Hadrian Cycle Route. It'll take you off road all the way into town, at which point you can head up St James's Boulevard. I think there's a cycle lane all the way up.
Thanks this is really helpful. I've been studying the map and thought it looked easier on the northbank but wondered what happens when you get to the A1 - are there any bits where you are in amongst the traffic?

OP
OP
Little Rach

Little Rach

Regular
I can't see any other way, the path on the south side of the Tyne is not as well made and looks longer.

The Hadrian's path is direct, although it does take you across Scotswood Road a couple of times.

The path runs next to the Tyne, so you would need to veer north off it somewhere near the Arena - a bit of trial and error will be required to establish the best sequence of turns.

You could turn left a bit earlier opposite the Ford garage, and then right at the top of the bank towards St James's Boulevard.

But the left turn is a bit of a climb which you don't have to do if you stay on the path/Scotswood Road and turn nearer the Arena.
Thank you. This is sounding not as tricky as I had feared. I think I will try it out on a weekend initially to see if I can work it out and to see how long it will take. I'm not a fast cyclist and this won't be a fast bike but I'm guessing around 40 to 45 minutes.

Hi @Little Rach, grew up in Ryton, but that was many years ago. Newburn - cycle path sounds the way to go, but not sure whether I'd do Stella bank or the small lane that leads up directly. Either way, it'll get your lungs going a bit.

From Hexham right into the centre of Newcastle is a doddle on either side and mainly traffic free, if you are worried why not have an early morning dry run. On a recent ride I was surprised at just how clean the path was from Scotswood bridge to the central station.

Have a look here.................http://www.cycle-route.com/routes/Northumberland-Routes-95.html

Hope you find something that helps......:thumbsup:
Just looked at the routes shown on this link and was surprised that there is nothing shown a route that included the Angel of the North ( I possible missed one) But in case any one wants to see the Angel there is a nice route from the Metro centre railway station up the Derwent valley and then down through Axwell Park and finishing at either the Metro station or the Central station.

Top Bottom