Cycling along the Tyne

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

albion

Guru
Hello,

make sure you try all routes. There's certainly 3 commuter routes for you of varying attraction. Most common for me I think through Ryton towards Newcastle is crossing Blaydon Bridge.
But I don't have to commute, likely making it quite different.

albion

Guru
Maybe you have these by now. All the Newcastle and Gateshead cycling maps are also here to download as PDFs.
http://www.tyneandwearltp.gov.uk/maps/

As to visiting the Angel, all routes have their pros and cons. The exciting off road scenic one would be a Dunston loop making taking in the Causy Arch and going via the Tanfield Rail Path and then Bowes Rail Path.

OP
OP
Little Rach

Little Rach

Regular
Maybe you have these by now. All the Newcastle and Gateshead cycling maps are also here to download as PDFs.
http://www.tyneandwearltp.gov.uk/maps/

As to visiting the Angel, all routes have their pros and cons. The exciting off road scenic one would be a Dunston loop making taking in the Causy Arch and going via the Tanfield Rail Path and then Bowes Rail Path.
Thanks - can never get enough of maps. Although I still seem to manage to make unintended detours... :smile:

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Hello,

make sure you try all routes. There's certainly 3 commuter routes for you of varying attraction. Most common for me I think through Ryton towards Newcastle is crossing Blaydon Bridge.
But I don't have to commute, likely making it quite different.
Blaydon bridge? Do you mean Scotswood Bridge? Have they put a seg'd cycle path along the highway after Chainbridge Road or some other way of getting on & particularly off the bridge on the Blaydon side that is bike friendly or at least not seriously hazardous compared to Hip Priests' suggestion?

@Little Rach, fair play, that little climb from the rail line to the main road is a meanie followed by the drag up to The Runhead with your legs on fire.

albion

Guru
Guess I meant 'bridge near Blaydon'.

Crossing over to Blaydon side you simply turn left and head down to join the river path for a left to head west.

That 'Newcastle Cycle Map' even shows a hybrid off road route up into Ryton.

Top Bottom