Cycling apps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jacko169091

Anyone have this same problem, I am using two different apps to track/record every ride I make, 1) Map my ride, 2) Strava but I find that they are recording distance run differently. Today my ran was shown as 19.03 miles on MMR and as 20.04 miles on strava. My phone is on a holder on the handle bars so when I stop, they stop.
Thats a difference of 1 mile.
can anyone offer an explanation as to the difference and any solution

NotAsGoodAsMyBike

Can’t be sure of the technical reason, but it might be something to do with the frequency at which each app is checking it’s position (some apps let you choose to reduce how often to save battery), combined with whether the app is ‘locked’ on the road you are using, or just plotting position. If one app isn’t checking it’s position as often and isn’t locked to the road, it might assume that the twisty road you just cycled down was in fact a dead straight road - ironing out all the corners and twists can reduce distance slightly, but a mile is a lot for a total distance of only 20 miles.

Much more minor differences can drive people to distraction - the solution is to just use one app (or at least only use one to track distance). I use Garmin Connect and never even bother to check if it says the same as my accounts with Ride With GPS or Komoot

Sharky

Guru
Which one is correct? I would want to check the route by car or try plotting the route on Google maps or similar. Then only keep the more accurate one.

They are both correct. They are both wrong. They each measure by different methods. Pick one and use that every time then you get consistency.

How are you going to measure it to get the "right" measurement? Car? Who says that is accurate? Tape measure? Good luck with that. And anyway what is an exact measurement? Measuring tools can change with temperature (Read the book about surveying India, Mr Everest and all that).

Use one system and stick to it. Dont worry about what others say.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Are the apps on the same device?
If you use different devices, the two GPS receivers will disagree on each location measurement. Small errors can cancel out to some degree. Other errors can be a bit mad.

vickster

Legendary Member
My Wahoo measures faster average speed (usually about 0.4 mph or so) but shorter distance by around 0.3 miles, the iPhone further but slower. I upload the one to Strava that I want at that time, speed or distance :laugh:
It’s probably better just to choose one as above! I’ve got a Garmin to replace Wahoo so will see!

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I use the Cyclemeter app which don't upload your information like Strava... it's reliable and easy to use, providing you remember to switch it on. It logs elevation, climb and descent, calories, maps your route, max speed, average speed, stopped time and laps/ zones and each mile stats if you want it to + bpm/ power if you use sensors.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Are you running both apps at the same time on the same device? If so, that could quite easily be the cause.

Top Bottom