Cycling around Hornchurch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I live in the NE of England where the terrain is hilly, its mostly uphill/downhill and a little bit of flat terrain. Does anyone cycle around hornchurch area of Essex as I will be cycling in that area in a couple of weeks time? What is the terrain like in that area in comparison to the terrain in Northumberland/Tyne and Wear?

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
Flat. Very, very flat.
except for some hilly bits. What are you looking at ? On or off road.
I did 30 miles on Sunday with no hills at all.

OP
OP
GmanUK65

GmanUK65

Über Member
On road. seems it may be easier. A friend of mine rides in a club down there, and while I'm there I will be cycling with the club. Ive only ridden with a club once, I was not fit enough and kept lagging behind because I couldnt ride at their pace. I crashed and injured my shoulder which kept me off the bike for 3 weeks. So, I was a bit worried about being able to ride at the pace of the club in Essex, but with the lack of uphills I may find it easier to keep up.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
Which club ?
There are hills if you want to look for them. Laindon Hills and Horndon-on-the-Hill near Basildon are appropriately named and Bread and Cheese Hill as you enter Southend.

Luke Redpath

Depends where you are going to and from; there's a bit of an uphill climb heading from Romford into Hornchurch but nothing too serious. There's a pretty steep hill leading out of Hornchurch up St. Mary's Lane towards Upminister but it shouldn't cause a problem for a strong cyclist. Overall though, it's not that hilly.

Chris432626

As others have said, a couple of circuits over Laindon will brush away the cobwebs. Farther afield, you can carry on out via Billericay to Chelmsford and The Easters....or via Wickford and onto Burnham-on-Crouch / Maldon.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
There aren't many, that's why I asked.
There is a new Hornchurch CC and the Havering CTC Cyclists. There others are all outside the borough which is where the distance to hills becomes relevant.

I cycle from hornchurch to Harold Hill (Wingletye lane)as a very inexperienced cyclist on a bike that probably isn't very good. There are some hills that I find tough on that route. So if you're any fitter than me you should be fine

Top Bottom