Cycling Around the World, Sadly had to return for major repairs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
John Peel

John Peel

Mark Beaumont's first (and unsupported) RTW record was on a belt drive bike?

I have been in contact with Mark in the last couple of years after his 2008 record, he used a chain and hub and did pretty will. I have booked into 3 full days and 2 part days with Bike Right in Liverpool 1 day on disc brakes, 1 day on wheel building and truing, both I paid for, then 1 full day on all aspects of maintenance and repair, and the 2 part days on other aspects of maintenance and safety. These last 3 days I got for free as I live in Liverpool. So all being well, I'm making the most of this time off.

OP
OP
John Peel

John Peel

Incidentally, I spoke to a Dutch couple who were touring Scotland on Rohloff/belt bikes..

Yes, I could see myself reverting to the belt again in the future if I only have short trips to do, but for RTW, I have learned the chain and Rohloff is my only real option right now, other than buying a new bike with derailleur, as the KOGA frame cannot convert to derailleur.

OP
OP
John Peel

John Peel

Just found this that might be of use for you:

Looks like there are free courses (they look more detailed than the one Evans Cycles provides) if you meet the following criteria:

-To be eligible for FREE training sessions you need to live, work or study in the Merseyside or Halton area and be aged over 16.

https://www.bikeright.co.uk/merseyside/bitesizebikefix/

Used your link to purchase a full day on discs, a full day on wheel truing and building, then a free full day on general maintenance and repair, and 2 free 2 hour days on other maintenance and safety. Cheers, I'm all set :smile:,

NickNick

I have been in contact with Mark in the last couple of years after his 2008 record, he used a chain and hub and did pretty will. I have booked into 3 full days and 2 part days with Bike Right in Liverpool 1 day on disc brakes, 1 day on wheel building and truing, both I paid for, then 1 full day on all aspects of maintenance and repair, and the 2 part days on other aspects of maintenance and safety. These last 3 days I got for free as I live in Liverpool. So all being well, I'm making the most of this time off.

You could almost do with getting a crap second hand £20 bike of eBay that has never been maintained properly and riding that for next few months, would give you lots of hands on repair experience ^_^

OP
OP
John Peel

John Peel

I had this in Kenya - not even a glimpse of trouble all week, then you turn into a village and it all goes Pete Tong in a flash. I was ok, but it was an eye opener.

Yes, I need to develop a healthy fear, and I guess that will likely come. In Manaus in the Brazilian Amazon, I was set on by a guy with a knife shaped pointy bit of wood, demanding money, he got nothing, and he was lucky he only got that :smile:, but if it came to it and a gun was pointed at my head god forbid, they can have anything.

I had this in Kenya - not even a glimpse of trouble all week, then you turn into a village and it all goes Pete Tong in a flash. I was ok, but it was an eye opener.

On one tripI was stoned (not spif stoned) twice in Eygpt, also in Uganda by bored teenagers. on another adventure I shot at in Northern Turkey, and also in Cambodia where luckily the bullets missed me by inches, amazing how quick one can speed away with that as a incentive. But it make life interesting.

OP
OP
John Peel

John Peel

You could almost do with getting a crap second hand £20 bike of eBay that has never been maintained properly and riding that for next few months, would give you lots of hands on repair experience ^_^

I've got a GIANT Escape 2 that was just stuck in my lockup and hardly ever got used. I will hammer that for these few months. These courses I have booked should be useful.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
@John Peel Good luck to you on your courses and the trip itself. I’ve followed you on Twitter so I look forward to hearing about your progress (thanks for the follow back too!) :okay:

Crankarm

Guru
Yes, I could see myself reverting to the belt again in the future if I only have short trips to do, but for RTW, I have learned the chain and Rohloff is my only real option right now, other than buying a new bike with derailleur, as the KOGA frame cannot convert to derailleur.

I had a love hate relationship with the Hebie Chainglider chain guard I had for the chain on my Surly Troll Rohloff. Whilst it kept the chain covered and clean, the increased drag and clatter it made if not fitting perfectly was a real PITA. It was really difficult and fiddly to make small adjustments so the casing didn't rub or bind the chain. So much so that I only used it during winter to keep crud and salt off the transmission which it did well but quite a penalty in extra effort to pedal the bike and noise it made. Come summer and supposedly drier warmer months I took it off. Pedalling with it on had been like driving a car with the hand brake on. Still miles better than derailleurs though from a maintenance POV.

For chain for your Rohloff you need the KMC X1 about £25. I used a KMC quick link as well with no problems at all.
https://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/components-c9/chains-c64/kmc-x1-silver-internal-hub-gear-chain-p2966

Mine did over 10k miles and there was very little wear or stretch with the chain in this time, but of course people's riding styles can vary hugely, weight they carry and terrain over which they cycle can be massively different.

Last edited:
OP
OP
John Peel

John Peel

@John Peel Good luck to you on your courses and the trip itself. I’ve followed you on Twitter so I look forward to hearing about your progress (thanks for the follow back too!) :okay:

Thanks Lee, I'm also looking to try scaling down my gear for this next section to see how I go. I have nearly 10kg of camera gear including cables, plus camping chair and table, and all sorts of electronics and bits I might not really need, so I'm investing in a great phone instead of taking my laptop, so lets see how I get on scaled right back. I'm thinking like this because of all the flights I will be taking to countries.

OP
OP
John Peel

John Peel

[QUOTE="Crankarm, post: 5057863, member: 4995"
Mine did over 10k miles and there was very little wear or stretch with the chain in this time, but of course people's riding styles can vary hugely, weight they carry and terrain over which they cycle can be massively different.[/QUOTE]

I'm scaling back a lot of weight and crap I might not really need for this next leg, then once I reach Rome I will be getting a romantic visit and some of that gear brought out if I still need it. I estimate I could drop at least 15kg of kit, especially laptop and other electronics. One pannier bag on the rear is just for electronics, crazy really, but hey. I will be losing more weight myself while on my pit stop here, it will all help to take the strain of the bike.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Thanks Lee, I'm also looking to try scaling down my gear for this next section to see how I go. I have nearly 10kg of camera gear including cables, plus camping chair and table, and all sorts of electronics and bits I might not really need, so I'm investing in a great phone instead of taking my laptop, so lets see how I get on scaled right back. I'm thinking like this because of all the flights I will be taking to countries.

I use my iPhone 7 for all my photos and videos as it takes great pictures. It’s also my cycle computer, car sat nav, my memory (reminders and notes), kitchen sink.... My wife’s getting me a power pack for Christmas off Amazon that holds 7 charges for my iPhone so should not run out of battery easily when out and about and can take photos all day long. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
John Peel

John Peel

My wife’s getting me a power pack for Christmas off Amazon that holds 7 charges for my iPhone . :thumbsup:

My biggest waste of money, besides the bike :smile: Was the dynamo front hub with a usb adaptor, what a load of crap that is. It will hold a charge on things I'm using, but won't give much more than that. The lights obviously work with it, but I don't ride at night anyway. So I bought 2 EasyAcc 1000mAh power banks, and I wouldn't now be without them, they are amazing and smallish. I charge them up at campsite receptions overnight, and I will get a good couple of days out of them on my phone, satnav, blutooth speaker, walkman.

:smile: I know what you mean. If it goes pear shaped again in a big way and I'm as far away as say Malaysia, I'm going to send it back home and buy another one from a builder or manufacturer who can offer me real support, and it will be derailleur based too, and half the price.
Through most of your RWT route; getting standard bike parts, other than items like your Hub and drive belt, should not be a problem you might have to buy cheaper parts but that keeps you on the move. Even if the frame break you should be able in the main cities or Towns to find someone who can weld the frame, anyway flying spares to you via DHL, Fedex, UPS is easy enough, just a tad expensive, once you have done your courses you will have not problems fixing things. thats the advantage of a bike, its made of readily available standard parts in most cases. And will save you the effort of arranging shipping the damage bike home.

One bit of advice i give peeps, preventive maintenance is the answer to avoid many parts failure, at the end of the days riding, always take time to check the bike over, check the tightness of all your fastenings, and spokes clean your chain, and then lube it, check all your cables and brake hoses look for cracks around the spoke holes on your wheel rims and cone adjustment. If done in the evening it allows the fresh oil on the chain to soak into the rollers, then in the morning just wipe a rag over the outside to remove any surplus oil.

I noticed in one of your posts that you thought not many people did RTW tours, once you are out of Europe you will be surprised the amount of cyclist doing Long haul tours, indeed some routes feel like the M25 at times, and you can struggle to fine somewhere to stay.

Top Bottom