Cycling as a family or group, keeping contact with each other.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
The bumfeng doesnt meet the selectivity limits set in the specification. It also didn't meet the fixed antenna requirement, although that was dropped in 2019.

I "work" in serach and rescue. The main comms are DMR, but we carry 446 for backup inter-team comms, for example, when the team splits in two search around a wooded area (code words used, nothing useful to anyone in the clear) and the difference between Bumfengs and Icoms is astonishing for both range and quality of Tx signal. The signal strength diminishes to a point that the Bumfengs cease to discriminate and receive a good half mile or more sooner in open terrain, and the audio on the Icoms is first class.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Strongest adult rider stays at back, one of the adults stays at front. Kids told not to overtake the front adult. Regroup at top and rear adult makes sure the last kid gets sufficient recovery before you set off again.
Agree with this, its an etiquette issue, not a technology issue.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Surely radios etc is complete overkill? I've never heard of such a thing. Amongst the groups I ride with one of three rules apply:
  • regroup at the top of a climb
  • after a long stretch without turns regroup at the next turn. This lets the faster/stronger riders push on if they wish
  • on hilly official club training rides there are agreed regroup points. Again allows the stronger riders to push on
Surely a family ride is just an outing, fun together? Stop at the top of the hill, have a chat and set off when everyone feels ready. Simple.

The last thing a slow climber wants is a radio squawking at him/her.

Last edited:
Top Bottom