Cycling Bell-ends

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
When I go through the internet it just appears that there are an awful lot of angry people in the UK. If its not bikes and cars its people scrapping on trains and tubes because someone is not wearing a mask.
If you are referring to a recent widely-reported incident, then I think you will find that was a late-night weekend train and alcohol had been consumed.

It is obviously not about being infected because those complaining are actually wearing masks. I think they think the masked ones are annoyed because they are obeying the rules and wearing masks.
I think it's because they feel the unmasked ones are increasing the risk to others, masked or not, which is what UK authorities have consistently said. So going into an enclosed space unmasked without reason is now seen by some as anti-social like drink-driving, in a way that we've still not achieved for phoney-driving. Or cycling unlit but given they seem to primarily hurt themselves, is it worth the effort?

So fair play and community spirit motivates some to confront the offenders, although taking it all the way to a fight wasn't the wisest thing to do and does rather suggest some drink-impaired decision-making.

I'm surprised if in Denmark people would take the "I'm alright Jack" approach and just move away, but you know better than me.
[...] As for cars and bikes. The car drivers here know that the cyclists have the upper hand. If you knock a cyclist over in Denmark you have a problem.
The UK takes another step towards that next month, with a hierarchy of care added to the Highway Code, but we wait to see if the courts will support it when there's a collision.

Brads

The tensions between cyclists and motorists are not being helped by some of the complete bell-ends I see on my drive home at night. Dressed all in black and without any lights, but it would be the driver who was at fault if there was a collision.

This kind of behaviour makes life very difficult for the rest of us.

Yawn, how very troll.

simongt

Guru
What amuses me is the numptys who stroll into the road without bothering to look; with or without cell phone and after you've nearly collided with them, they give you the 'Why are you on the road - ?' look, assuming the near collision to be entirely YOUR fault. :whistle:

When I go through the internet it just appears that there are an awful lot of angry people in the UK.
mm - you must be looking at a pretty restricted range of the big wide internet.
there's angry folk everywhere.
Even I suspect on the danish internet.
Anyways, yep I do think there's a fair old number of cycling bell-ends around.
I see them in london.
Have had the odd altercation with some and told them that it's pretty clear that they are just gagging to be driving a souped up car.
On the other hand there are some nice white van drivers.

Alex321

Veteran
Anyways, yep I do think there's a fair old number of cycling bell-ends around.
I see them in london.
Have had the odd altercation with some and told them that it's pretty clear that they are just gagging to be driving a souped up car.
On the other hand there are some nice white van drivers.

The problem here (in both cases) is that nobody notices the ones who do everything correctly, it is the bell-ends who stand out, and because they are the ones who are noticed, the whole category gets a bad reputation.

simongt

Guru
One thing I noticed on the way home yesterday. It was about 16.00h. ish, so dusky and most cars etc. had their lights on. There were a number of cycle users without lights and wearing dark clothing weaving in and out of the cars. with the lights of the oncoming traffic, it made them even harder to see. :whistle:

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
One thing I noticed on the way home yesterday. It was about 16.00h. ish, so dusky and most cars etc. had their lights on. There were a number of cycle users without lights and wearing dark clothing weaving in and out of the cars. with the lights of the oncoming traffic, it made them even harder to see. :whistle:
How did you know they were there?

Reactions: mjr

simongt

Guru
How did you know they were there?
Er, the fact that the otherwise steady car headlights were momentarily diappearing - !

DRM

Guru
What is even worse is these new bright LED car headlights, they do wreck your vision of anything else around them in the dark, pedestrians, cyclists etc

DRM

Guru
Er, the fact that the otherwise steady car headlights were momentarily diappearing - !
Also it’s the split second that your eyes take to recover after being dazzled, is when ninjas dressed in dark clothing are missed, similar effect when the sun is low and gives a flashing effect as you drive past trees

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Also it’s the split second that your eyes take to recover after being dazzled, is when ninjas dressed in dark clothing are missed, similar effect when the sun is low and gives a flashing effect as you drive past trees
The main problem is nobbers in cars using dazzling lights, which is as illegal as the unlit nobbers of all sorts and more dangerous IMO.

DRM

Guru
The main problem is nobbers in cars using dazzling lights, which is as illegal as the unlit nobbers of all sorts and more dangerous IMO.
These aren’t illegal, they’re the led projector headlights that are fitted to some modern cars, they’re too bright for anyone going towards them

Top Bottom