Cycling between Minehead and Bishop's Lydeard stations (WSR)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Katherine

Guru
.. While Mr K takes the train.
A day out on the West Summerset Railway.
I either put the bike in the guards van or ride the 18 miles.

Any route suggestions /information /advice - please ?

berty bassett

Legendary Member
i have no idea of the area but try using this if you have no other replies https://cycle.travel/map
i have used it a few times and its been spot on

.. While Mr K takes the train.
A day out on the West Summerset Railway.
I either put the bike in the guards van or ride the 18 miles.

Any route suggestions /information /advice - please ?
That is a good question. I can remember there being some parts on the journey where you can get out and walk between some stations , but I'm not sure if you can cycle on them. I'm also not sure of how much of the journey can be done this way.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
i have no idea of the area but try using this if you have no other replies https://cycle.travel/map
i have used it a few times and its been spot on

+1 My choice of route planner too.

Housekeeping note: Komoot have a worldwide deal on offline maps for £20 at the moment. It is a really good planner too. Pretty easy to plan and upload to Wahoo devices too. I paid for it last night purely because it lists campgrounds properly if you choose that setting. Takes the headache out of my mini tour with the kids in the NL next week. £20 for life. Worldwide. Value. Yes.

I just tried the cycle/ travel map for my area just to see how it worked and it chose a route that usually take.

I just looked on my map again and found that the yellow road was the A358. I'm not sure how busy that road would be . All of the other smaller roads seem to meander about.

I hope you have a good time .

Ajax Bay

Guru
I'd recommend this 34k route:
Minehead to Bishop's Lydeard (station to station)
via Blue Anchor (NB climb out of) and Watchet, S on B3190, X A39, L at Fair Cross onto B3188, thro' Monksilver, L@X on B3224, and SE past Ash Priors to avoid A358 (if so desired)
Staying on A39 (for 4km) past Carhampton till a right onto the B3190 at Washford is shorter.
Cycle path along much of the A39 (between Minehead roundabout and Carhampton)
I have cycled all these roads. The engines are impressive: see if you can intercept the train at Blue Anchor or Watchet

Hello Katherine, I live in Blue Anchor, the railway runs about 100 yards from the bottom of my garden, alongside the beach, it's a really tough place to live :okay: Just remember, this part of Somerset is not flat!

PM me and I would be happy to speak on the phone and talk you through route options (Ajax Bay's comments are certainly on the money).

OP
OP
Katherine

Katherine

Guru
I'd recommend this 34k route:
Minehead to Bishop's Lydeard (station to station)
via Blue Anchor (NB climb out of) and Watchet, S on B3190, X A39, L at Fair Cross onto B3188, thro' Monksilver, L@X on B3224, and SE past Ash Priors to avoid A358 (if so desired)
Staying on A39 (for 4km) past Carhampton till a right onto the B3190 at Washford is shorter.
Cycle path along much of the A39 (between Minehead roundabout and Carhampton)
I have cycled all these roads. The engines are impressive: see if you can intercept the train at Blue Anchor or Watchet
Thank you very much.
Especially for the rwgps as I have the paid version which allows me to listen to the voice cues via Bluetooth.
It would be fun if I did manage to intercept the train and wave to Mr K.
I have travelled on this line every summer for 20 years so am familiar with the route of the train.
We also stayed in Stogumber once and went to a lovely pub in Monksilver.

OP
OP
Katherine

Katherine

Guru
Hello Katherine, I live in Blue Anchor, the railway runs about 100 yards from the bottom of my garden, alongside the beach, it's a really tough place to live :okay: Just remember, this part of Somerset is not flat!

PM me and I would be happy to speak on the phone and talk you through route options (Ajax Bay's comments are certainly on the money).
Thank you very much.
Mr K will be jealous of your location.
We always look at all the houses we see from the train and wonder which one we'd like to live in!
Mr K regularly watches the trains leaving and departing on the webcams along the line. He particularly likes the one at Blue Anchor.
He'll be on the first train out of Minehead on Sunday.
There is not much difference in price so I will still get a return ticket so I have the option to get on the train if necessary and I will probably get the train back to Minehead depending on timing.
Don't worry about the hills. I'm riding around Cornwall at the moment! And I do have hills at home too.

I rode from the premier Inn to the station to get my ticket from Mr K with the intention of cycling, with possible bail out points at Watchet or Williton. But the rain was head on and I nearly got blown off, so now I'm on the train !

:sad:
It is a shame that the weather has spoilt your plans. At least you are in the dry. It's not very pleasant riding into a headwind and rain.
I hope the rest of your day goes well.

Top Bottom