Cycling cameras and recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joanne773

Having been knocked off twice and also more than a few close shaves with people that have tried on purpose has put me looking at cameras but after recommendations as only coming up with either very expensive or not good quality

classic33

Leg End Member
Cameras won't prevent near misses. They may prevent people from trying on purpose to intimidate you. No guarantee there though.

Where would you be looking to mount a camera if you were to get one?

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
I wouldn’t bother, unless you have deep pockets.
If you’re commuting daily, look at altering your route to avoid high-pressure junctions. Find the light traffic route if you can. Stay relaxed and alert.
I found the extra faff with a GoPro, and it being there, made me more uptight.
If you have to, the GoPro does a brilliant job. Very good for capturing recreational rides.

Check out the GitUp or SJCam cameras, I have both. You don't need the latest model to catch the number plate on cars, so long as the resolution and stablisation is sufficient. You can save by buying a model from 1 or 2 years ago. They can be purchased cheaply from ebay or aliexpress. Watch out for fakes, only buy from sellers with good ratings. They are GoPro like cams. HD recording without the HD price tags. I only use a front cam with a quick release system mounted on the underside of my handle bars, I've so far picked up many close passes and had one dealt with by police, I can recommend them highly and they don't cost the earth. They definitely don't make you safer. And there's always the danger you are more likely to be drawn into confrontation if you are tempted to catch them on camera. They can also provoke additional violence and/or irrational anger when road ragers know they are being filmed. Hence hanging mine inverted under the bars, even fellow cyclists don't notice it. The GitUp allows you to turn off the blinky red lights too.

My only gripe with them is that battery tech needs to improve significantly, until then I have to charge the Li-ion battery after every ride on my 11 mile commute. A more expensive camera won't solve this problem however, you can take battery banks with you if you are prepared to do some DIY modifying waterproofed cases and find a way to store the external battery safely in the event of a downpour.

Last edited:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I buy most things from amazon and the same goes for cameras.
The SJ4000 cams are really good quality and can be picked up for £40. Lots of copies out there but most are perfectly OK.
You'll get a multitude of different clamps and probably a waterproof case. The battery is normally good for around 90mins but an external USB battery pack can be hooked up for longer run times and the cams can be set up for "car" or "dash" mode which means they start recording soon as you plug an external battery into them. Saves messing about with manually turning them on and off.
Footage is usually pretty good but if the waterproof case is used then you lose audio.
Be sure to shove a class 10 micro sd card in with at least 8GB for any ride. A bigger card {16 - 32GB)is recommended but the cams can be set to continuously record over older files.

Having been knocked off twice and also more than a few close shaves with people that have tried on purpose has put me looking at cameras but after recommendations as only coming up with either very expensive or not good quality

I have the Mobius 2 camera. It has the C2 lense (wide angle). Less than £70 inc shipping. It has a good review on YT by Tech moan.

I have mine fitted on the handle bar. Comes with lense cover. Charges up with a phone type charger. You get about 2hr plus from a charge. Footage is good. Takes a mem card.
No need to pay Go Pro prices for what you need.

20180809_111111.jpg

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I got a Drift Stealth 2, it's okay and not as bulky on a helmet as a GoPro or similar.

They've just brought out a Ghost X which looks good. I have had an Aldi rear camera for some time now with no problems.

Holding dangerous drivers accountable has been satisfying, but I don't think the cameras keep them away.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
I got a Drift Stealth 2, it's okay and not as bulky on a helmet as a GoPro or similar.

They've just brought out a Ghost X which looks good. I have had an Aldi rear camera for some time now with no problems.

Holding dangerous drivers accountable has been satisfying, but I don't think the cameras keep them away.
The Ghost X is great ^_^

OneArmedBandit

It's not going to win any style awards but after my accident - where I blacked out and if it wasn't for CCTV the toerag driver would have got away, I bought one from eBay for £25.

The cheapness was partially deliberate because I wanted something that was very very obviously a camera. It lasts for my two hour commute there and back, I don't know how long in total.

It's difficult to be certain but tonight there was an accident in a town I cycle through so things were gridlocked. I was cycling down a narrow road with a contraflow cycle lane and lots if drivers were attempting to turn around and drive up the cycle lane. Normally this would involve lots of bad tempers and aggression. Today every driver when they saw me, without exception, waved to say sorry and patiently waited for me to go past.

I was wearing a yellow, blue and black cycle top which may have helped as well of course.

The footage from this is clear enough to settle an insurance claim but if you wanted to report things to the police you might want something better.

IMG_20180810_215832.jpg

Milzy

Guru
I’ve got go pro rear mounted under seat. Works great but it’s something else to think about. Also my saddle bag can’t go on with that in place.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
I have the Mobius 2 camera. It has the C2 lense (wide angle). Less than £70 inc shipping. It has a good review on YT by Tech moan.

I have mine fitted on the handle bar. Comes with lense cover. Charges up with a phone type charger. You get about 2hr plus from a charge. Footage is good. Takes a mem card.
No need to pay Go Pro prices for what you need.

View attachment 423557
Where do you put your hands?^_^

Boopop

Guru
If you want to go all out get a Cycliq Fly6CE and Fly12CE...they do cost a small fortune however. I've just bought one of each from a friend in my cycling club for £200 - bargain! 1/3 off. If you have trouble justifying that much on cameras remember that they're bright lights too. Effortless to use also as they switch on with your garmin (if it supports ant+) and do a rolling record. My only concern is unlike my GoPro3's (which I'm upgrading from) the batteries are sealed within the things :sad:

Top Bottom