Cycling / Camping advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ootini

Hi all,
I'm planning a 4/5 day cycling-camping trip in the spring. It will be a 40 mile/day circular route around North Wales. There's be three of us (so far) on the trip, so we can divide up the weight of kit over our three bikes. We're not planning on carrying everything, we'll be eating at cafe's etc where we can, so only really need emergency / can't be bothered paying for it food.
Basically my question is: If the three of us are riding road bikes (Spesh Allez, Cube race and my Ridley XBow running road tyres) are we going to encounter any "bike" related issues? Personally I can't think of any, but then I see a lot of people raving about "touring bikes". For such a short trip I'm unsure as to what benefits a "touring" bike would have over our CX/Road bikes?

This is the proposed route: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/T...631386dc50bf!2m2!1d-3.3270948!2d53.309807!3e1

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ootini

Ootini

For what it's worth I'm planning on taking:
My usual cycling stuff, so top, shorts, gloves etc
Vango ark 200 tent
Cheapo sleeping bag
Bike tool kit
1st aid kit
Emergency food
Spare undies / socks
T shirt
Shorts
Compass
Spare batteries for bike lights (torches)
Map
Small gas stove
Coffe mate / sugar / coffee
Phone
Power pack for phone
Self inflating sleeping mat
Hat

Anything I've missed?

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Assuming you can carry your stuff (ie tents & sleeping bags) on the bike somehow, no problem that I can see; presumably limited to saddle bags & bar bags rather than panniers given so-say "road" bikes. If carrying stuff in rucksacks, then pretty miserable. Another question is whether they're low enough geared for the extra weight of kit, hilliness of North Wales etc - only you can answer that

OP
OP
Ootini

Ootini

Assuming you can carry your stuff (ie tents & sleeping bags) on the bike somehow, no problem that I can see; presumably limited to saddle bags & bar bags rather than panniers given so-say "road" bikes. If carrying stuff in rucksacks, then pretty miserable. Another question is whether they're low enough geared for the extra weight of kit, hilliness of North Wales etc - only you can answer that

I'm actually planning on fitting panniers to my CX bike as it has the eyelets etc to take them. Not sure about the Spesh and Cube

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Wash bag and a towel, unless you plan on emptying the café from day 3 onwards. :whistle:

bar of soap, and that day's T-shirt will suffice respectively

OP
OP
Ootini

Ootini

With all this in mind, does anyone have a recommendation for a rear rack and dual pannier combo? This isn't likely to become a very regular affair so I'd really rather not pay a fortune for Ortliebs et al. Just looking to spend around £50-60 for both rack and bags if that's doable. Are all racks compatible with all bags? Or do they need to be matched up somehow?
I intended to slap the tent on the top of the rack, with sleeping bag and everything else in the bags.

I was thinking this: http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tor-tec-tour-rear-rack-with-spring-clip-prod23683/
plus this: http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/sjsc-rear-pannier-bags-prod11550/ - Are these really only a tenner each?! That basically makes them a consumable. **In fact it looks like they're a tenner for two! This is starting to look like a no-brainer until someone tells me otherwise.

I know the bags aren't waterproof, but if it absolutely lashes it down the trips off. I'll be stashing the contents in bin bags probably.

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
The larger £18.99 one would be better, plus that has zipped smaller pockets for keeping things separate (you'll be amazed that whatever you need is always at the bottom of the pannier. :cursing:)

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Sleeping bag is going to take up a lot of space in a bag, better put it with the tent on top, with self-inflating sleeping mat. Then you'll have room for food, water, and clothes in bags, You'll also want a couple of inner tubes, so you don't have to break out a repair kit if a puncture occurs. Water, and a way of carrying it. Raincoat/poncho.Something to write up your trip with, and a camera. Those last two most valuable. Phone may work for that, but I prefer a separate camera with zoom capability, and an actual keyboard or pen and paper.

OP
OP
Ootini

Ootini

Sleeping bag is going to take up a lot of space in a bag, better put it with the tent on top, with self-inflating sleeping mat. Then you'll have room for food, water, and clothes in bags, You'll also want a couple of inner tubes, so you don't have to break out a repair kit if a puncture occurs. Water, and a way of carrying it. Raincoat/poncho.Something to write up your trip with, and a camera. Those last two most valuable. Phone may work for that, but I prefer a separate camera with zoom capability, and an actual keyboard or pen and paper.

I'm thinking if space is an issue, which it will be, I'll ditch the sleeping mat. Good point about adding the sleeping bag up top with the tent though. I'd probably leave my mini saddlebag attached, which include spare tubes, repair kit etc. For water I have a pair of bottle cages on the bike with 750ml bottles for each, I can always top them up as and when so wouldn't think carrying large quantities would be necessary. I have a lightweight shower proof jacket I stuff in my back pocket and for photos I'd stick with phone, I'm a crap photographer anyway.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
With all this in mind, does anyone have a recommendation for a rear rack and dual pannier combo? This isn't likely to become a very regular affair so I'd really rather not pay a fortune for Ortliebs et al. Just looking to spend around £50-60 for both rack and bags if that's doable. Are all racks compatible with all bags? Or do they need to be matched up somehow?
I intended to slap the tent on the top of the rack, with sleeping bag and everything else in the bags.

I was thinking this: http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tor-tec-tour-rear-rack-with-spring-clip-prod23683/
plus this: http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/sjsc-rear-pannier-bags-prod11550/ - Are these really only a tenner each?! That basically makes them a consumable. **In fact it looks like they're a tenner for two! This is starting to look like a no-brainer until someone tells me otherwise.

I know the bags aren't waterproof, but if it absolutely lashes it down the trips off. I'll be stashing the contents in bin bags probably.

having had a crap pannier rack, several in fact, I'd be wary of the cheapest racks, That said, thing might be better these days if you get a recognised make (Topeak or some such even if you don't want to stretch to Tubus blingtastic titanium), and to be fair SJS are probably not going to sell rubbish - at least I'd hope not. I'd expect to spend £40 on the rack alone to be honest.
Ortliebs are great, but something adequate can probably be had a good bit cheaper.

All that said, whilst none of us want to spend needlessly, Ortliebs, though top-end price & quality wise are very much worth the money if you can afford it. Bear in mind they'll have ongoing value carting stuff back from the shops, commuting to work, and not just if you tour again - which you probably will. Remember a pair of Ortliebs is cheaper than a cheap pair AND Ortliebs later

Top Bottom