Cycling cap (or other headgear) for Winter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ashness

I need something to keep rain out of my eyes. On a recent ride on awarm day, but tipping down, rain coming between my helmet and the peak (there are gaps) was really stinging my eyes, to the extent that I had to ride with one eye shut some of the time. I've now got a thin cycle cap which seems to sort the problem - but can wearing such a thin thing under my helmet really make the helmet slip around?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
A buff is easy to use... Just a tube, and the way I normally wear it, twist it in the middle and then fold one half back over the other half.... And if the twisting was beyond you you would just end up with a hole at the top.

I have lots, and keep them in a coat pocket to wear if my head is cold. Easy to wash, quick to dry, soaks up some rain.
I've often ridden in the Buff ....

macp

Guru
Here we go again mega waterproof though ^_^ Seriously though I either use an Endura thermolite skull cap or an ear cover
gimp_mask.jpg

Darren Gregory

Rides a Pinnacle Arkose 3 and a Trek Emonda SL6

Mrs M

Guru
image.jpeg
This is my wee collection.
I cannot go out on the bike when the temperature is under double figures without them as my ears really suffer :sad:
I have buffs but prefer the skull caps as they pull right down over my ears and don't "bunch up".
I also have an Under Armour one but it's really warm for the coldest weather.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I've now got a thin cycle cap which seems to sort the problem - but can wearing such a thin thing under my helmet really make the helmet slip around?
Cap manufacturers say no, helmet manufacturers say yes, and I didn't find any independent study. I'd expect the pads designed to keep it in place on hair and skin don't work so well through a sheet of cotton, but I expected helmets would get stronger over time, not weaker, and I was wrong about that too!

Globalti

Legendary Member
A buff is warm in winter and cool in summer because it acts as an evaporator for sweat.

It keeps the inside of the helmet smelling fresh.

It keeps insects off your scalp.

You can wash it out in the shower after a ride.

You can pull it down over your ears in cold weather.

Top Bottom