Cycling cap (or other headgear) for Winter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steverob

Guru
After some advice / recommendations for what to wear underneath my cycle helmet during the winter months. I definitely need something to keep the top of my head and *especially* my ears warm when it gets colder, but as I don't have any cycling caps (not even summer versions) I have no idea what people actually use.

Last winter I used the thinnest wooly hat (normal everyday one - not cycling specific in any way) I could find and tried to use that under my helmet. It kind of worked, in that it did keep me warm, but it got very sweaty at times and also I had to set the straps on my helmet and that dial at the back (I'm sure it has a proper name) to their absolute maximum in order to squeeze it on my head and even then it did look rather precariously balanced and gave me an even odder shaped head than I normally have!

I had a look round my LBS the other day, but they don't seem to have any winter gear in yet (too early) and certainly didn't see any headgear that would also cover my ears, so interested to see what others use and where you'd get them from. It doesn't have to be a cap either - any sort of headgear would suffice as long as it does the job.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
A Buff is what you need.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I rather like the medieval apothecary style of cycling cap, as it does cover your ears, but doesn't need to rolling and folding of e plain type of wooly had to the same ends. The Assos one, though nicely made, is only in one-size-fits all providing you've got a small head, so I've now got an altura one. Bought another for my anorak pocket for hillwalking as it's good for general purpose use too

OP
OP
steverob

steverob

Guru
As seen as at least three people have recommended buffs, I suppose I should ask how easy they are to use. I briefly looked online a while back and the results I got seemed to suggest they were some sort of magic clothing origami that can somehow take the form of any sort of headgear you want - as someone who can barely keep a pair of shoelaces tied for more than an hour, I'm worried that trying to put knots in a small piece of cloth might completely defeat me!

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
As seen as at least three people have recommended buffs, I suppose I should ask how easy they are to use. I briefly looked online a while back and the results I got seemed to suggest they were some sort of magic clothing origami that can somehow take the form of any sort of headgear you want - as someone who can barely keep a pair of shoelaces tied for more than an hour, I'm worried that trying to put knots in a small piece of cloth might completely defeat me!

Haha. You can use them in lots of ways, either to keep your neck warm, or in various guises on your head. They usually come with instructions showing you the various ways and styles. They are easy/idiot proof instructions

Diggs

Veteran
I have used buffs before and they are very versatile pieces of kit, as I usually wear a cap anyway, I go for a Belgian style winter cap as suggested above, using a buff to keep the neck warm.
I have ones from Look Mum No Hands and Vulpine, super toasty for those really cold days

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
A buff is easy to use... Just a tube, and the way I normally wear it, twist it in the middle and then fold one half back over the other half.... And if the twisting was beyond you you would just end up with a hole at the top.

I have lots, and keep them in a coat pocket to wear if my head is cold. Easy to wash, quick to dry, soaks up some rain.

Top Bottom