Cycling capes and high winds don't mix.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Foolishly, tonight I decided to try out a cycle cape which I've had for years but never used until now.
The cape would have the added benefit of covering my rucksac and keep that dry too.
So there I was barrelling along with a fierce tailwind assisting me and all was well with the world until the wind got under the back of the cape and blew it straight over the top of my head, leaving me totally in the dark.

The cape will now be used only when walking.

Crankarm

Guru
Sorry but :laugh:.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I saw the funny side too.

Once I had finished shaking.
I was once descending the hill below at about 40 mph when I hit a bump and the visor on my helmet came loose, rotated forwards and all went black! I had the same reaction as you once I had managed to stop ...

midgley_road.jpg

D

Deleted member 1258

Foolishly, tonight I decided to try out a cycle cape which I've had for years but never used until now.
The cape would have the added benefit of covering my rucksac and keep that dry too.
So there I was barrelling along with a fierce tailwind assisting me and all was well with the world until the wind got under the back of the cape and blew it straight over the top of my head, leaving me totally in the dark.

The cape will now be used only when walking.

You should have been sitting on the tail of it

I haven't seen anyone use a cycling cape for about 20 odd years. Someone one day invented tight fitting wind avoiding rain protection and they were confined to the dustbin of history,

I have one in my work bag for when it rains on the way home.

OP
OP
Alan Frame
You should have been sitting on the tail of it

I was, but because I had a bulky rucksac under the cape I couldnt pull enough material onto the saddle.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
My old cycle cape had a belt loop on the back and wrist loops on the front. Nowadays I use a raincoat (can be worn off the bike) and removable Rainlegs which are a 80% solution that isn't a wind catcher.

tyred

Legendary Member
Must admit I like my cape. Lightweight and easy to carry.

Tape a bit of string along the back on the inside so you can tie it around you middle if there isn't any straps there.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Tuck the rear bit under your bum. They are a bit of a pain in strong wind, but they also help keep your legs and feet dry.

Top Bottom