Cycling clothes washing routine and methods

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I wash everything after every decent ride. The only thing that does not get washed if I can help it is my Gore Shakedry Jacket, I try to just sponge any splashes off that.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I just cycle in rubber booties if its that wet :rolleyes:
Me too. I have a lovely pair of Fizik winter boots. Warm and probably 98% waterproof.

MntnMan62

Über Member
If I've read your post properly @Ridgeway you are washing after every ride.
I wouldn't dream of doing that for all sorts of reasons.
All except socks and undershorts or things with their own pads get used several times - perfectly hygienic and I always shower before cycling.
Then i wait until I have a full load of 30 degree cycling stuff and do it all together.
On a normal duration wash. Low spin speed.
Clever short cycle low capacity washes are inefficient in several ways.
Maybe I'm missing something but my system just seems to make sense/be most efficient in terms of detergent/water/power/my time.
Cycling stuff of course drips dry, though wind is good - no need for heat. In fact I've spent a fair bit of time in the Med and would always hang stuff out at night there - not a good idea to subject lycra to blazing sun.
So I'd relax. Don't be a slave to your gear.

I'm another one who only wears stuff for one ride. That means shirt, padded shorts or tights, socks. I don't wear underwear. Does anyone with padded shorts or padded bike tights? Just one ride. One whiff of the stuff is all you need to know that they won't go back on my body until they've been washed.

Chap sur le velo

Über Member
Word of warning.

After throwing all my gear in the machine after a nice wet winter ride, on taking them out to dry the Velro on the gloves was stuckto the back of my nice Rapha jacket. Without thinking pulled them off and left two large thumbprints of piling marks. Not a big disaster but don't want any more of them, so 'closing' Velcro before washing is the new mantra.

iluvmybike

Über Member
Word of warning.

After throwing all my gear in the machine after a nice wet winter ride, on taking them out to dry the Velro on the gloves was stuckto the back of my nice Rapha jacket. Without thinking pulled them off and left two large thumbprints of piling marks. Not a big disaster but don't want any more of them, so 'closing' Velcro before washing is the new mantra.
You can get little mesh bags for things like socks, velcro items - pop in bag into the machine alongside your other stuff. Saves any snags - even if done up velcro tabs can come undone

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

Veteran
I shove it in the wash with me normal clobber, with the exception of my padded underwear - these get a scrape every few years whether they need it or not.

"Normal clobber" i thought you only wore Lycra, 24/7, even on the beach.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Anyone else not wash their kit after each ride ? maybe it's just me ;)

I wash stuff when it needs washing, not always every time I use it. A visual test and a sniff tells me what is fit for further use and what isn't. I don't tend to specifically dress up for cycling, other than the fact I might put shorts on rather than longs if temperatures permit. Not because I think shorts are essential riding wear, simply they are less hassle with no flappy bits of leg material to come into contact with an oily chain.
Quite often, if I go for a woods MTB ride at the weekend, I will don a pair of minging work trousers that already badly need a wash. That way, I'm not dirtying a clean pair when they get all spattered with mud. I use them one last time for the ride, then they go in the machine with the rest of the weeks dirty working gear to be refreshed whilst I go down the pub to be refreshed. I don't view domestic chores as some sort of pleasure activity so I aim to put the least amount of time and effort into doing them.

davelincs

My cycling clothing gets washed after every ride, especially in the warmer months, in winter bib shorts and base layers washed after every ride, jackets when required , all gear washed @ 30 degs, or as per washing instructions

mustang1

Guru
When I was commuting, I had one set to get to work and a fresh set for the return journey. Both sets went into the washing machine daily. Sometimes if I couldn't be bothered to wash daily, I'd get the next two sets out. I think I had about 4 sets.

Now I'm not commuting. When I go for a workout ride, the clothes go straight into the wash. if it's a leisurely cruise that builds up no sweat, then sometimes they go into the wash, or sometimes I just hang them on the bike.

But however I wash the clothes, they're at 20 (mostly) or 30 (sometimes) Celcius, uhm mode 4 water (out of 5), 1200rpm (out of 1400). Shoes would go in too if muddy and I didn't need them the next day but i'd always hose off the mud first.

JhnBssll

Veteran
I like to put clean kit on for every ride; to prevent running the washing machine daily I've ended up with quite a lot of kit as a result :laugh: For example over winter I've got 4 pairs of old cheap (semi transparent) planet-x bib shorts for use on the turbo and a couple of pairs of bib leggings for venturing outside in that get washed once a week. During summer I've got 3 or 4 nicer pairs of bib shorts (that aren't see-through yet) that again get thrown in the machine once a week. I tend to do an hour wash at 20 Celsius for lycra, no softener. Seems to do the job :laugh:

Top Bottom