Cycling clothing..is it just me?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bpsmith

Veteran
Ok, here's a challenge for you all...with no requirement to post the results here...

Pick your favourite pair of jeans. Look at the size. Then look at another pair of jeans. Are they the same size? Make note of the average size that fit you comfortably.

No measure your waist size, and be honest with yourself and do it properly, in the correct place that your waist is.

Does this measurement match!?!

I hazard a guess that it certainly doesn't. As alluded to already, clothing manufacturers are just lying to you. What are cycling clothing companies meant to do? Continue the lie, or be honest to you about your true size, with a view to you getting the size that you need?

The final thing to consider, is that if you are looking at brands like Castelli, which are at the top end of cycling brands, then is it fair that they assume that you are of a stereotypical cyclist shape? They are, in fact, trying to shape their products for the purpose they are designed for, along with the market that they fall within?

Globalti

Legendary Member
Yes I'm a standard medium size with 32" waist yet the only item of Castelli clothing I own is an XXL. Could it be that Castelli is so commonplace in Italy that everybody wears it and all Italian cyclists are emaciated racing snakes?

I'm a 26" waist and possess items of clothing ranging from a size 8 to a size 12...

Admittedly ladies' clothing is a bigger minefield than men's clothing because of the continuing adherence to the classic hourglass figure as proposed in the 1950s... Generally this entails needing smaller sizes above the waist and larger sizes below. Of course, even this goes straight out of the window if like me, you're short, but you've got curves...

bpsmith

Veteran
Yes I'm a standard medium size with 32" waist yet the only item of Castelli clothing I own is an XXL. Could it be that Castelli is so commonplace in Italy that everybody wears it and all Italian cyclists are emaciated racing snakes?
I am a 32" jean size, with actual measurement of 34". My Castelli jersey is a Medium and Shorts are a Large.

Very strange that you appear to need 3 sizes bigger, but have the same waist size?

Are you wide in the chest, or are you wearing them baggy? What item of clothing is it that you own?

hoopdriver

Guru
Or at least manufacturers are subscribing to the policy of vanity sizing...

Two years ago I bought a Puma replica football shirt in "small", which is a slightly loose fit. This summer I wanted to buy the current replica shirt, also made by Puma. Went straight for a "small", only to find that it looks like I'm wearing a circus tent. I swear it's at least two (if not more) sizes larger, though ostensibly being sold as being the same. Needless to say I didn't buy. Even the XS was too big.
I wouldn't exactly say it is vanity sizing at least not with the Italians - not when you have a 32" waist and you find yourself having to order XXL! That sure doesn't play well to my vanity...

Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
I am a 32" jean size, with actual measurement of 34". My Castelli jersey is a Medium and Shorts are a Large.

Very strange that you appear to need 3 sizes bigger, but have the same waist size?

Are you wide in the chest, or are you wearing them baggy? What item of clothing is it that you own?

I think it's a Prologo LS jersey and it's actually XL size, I've just asked Mrs Gti to check. Even in XL it's a pretty snug fit. See on the left here.

Attachments

• IMG_1064.JPG
    IMG_1064.JPG
    213 KB · Views: 102

bpsmith

Veteran
I think it's a Prologo LS jersey and it's actually XL size, I've just asked Mrs Gti to check. Even in XL it's a pretty snug fit. See on the left here.
The Prologo are usually the more relaxed fit too.

My latest jersey is the AR4.1, aero fit, but more relaxed than the full on aero AR5.1. Perhaps I accept the fit as it's clearly designed to be snug. Medium fits great though, not tight at all as plenty of stretch by design.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I wouldn't exactly say it is vanity sizing at least not with the Italians - not when you have a 32" waist and you find yourself having to order XXL! That sure doesn't play well to my vanity...
Depends which bit is XXL, surely? ;)

I think I've currently one pair of workmen's trousers with an accurate label size. I've many pairs of ordinary and suit trousers with an accurate leg length but the waists vary massively and all are larger than the label. It's rather annoying because I can't go down a size in many ranges without the longest leg length becoming too short - so folds and belts it is! :rolleyes:

hoopdriver

Guru
Depends which bit is XXL, surely? ;)

I think I've currently one pair of workmen's trousers with an accurate label size. I've many pairs of ordinary and suit trousers with an accurate leg length but the waists vary massively and all are larger than the label. It's rather annoying because I can't go down a size in many ranges without the longest leg length becoming too short - so folds and belts it is! :rolleyes:
Ha ha! Good point!

Stef 1

I was always vehemently oppossed to doing the whole lyrca huggy thing. My curves are for me and my missus only. Having said that I did replace my baggy shorts with both long and short pairs of padded bib-shorts a couple of years ago. Haven't looked back, they're ace. Haven't quite plucked up the courage to pour myself into a stretchy jeresey yet though... something I'm pondering doing this summer so watchthing this thread with interest. Can't be doing with all the flash graphics and logos though.... stealth or simple / plain for me!

xzenonuk

Veteran
i notice this as well, and it annoys me as i hate tight fitting stuff, usually i just wear trackie bottoms, t-shirt, trainers, gloves, helmet and either a high vis vest or a light jacket depending on temp and weather oh and a trouser clip for my drive side :smile:

i have been in high minus temps where i had to defrost the locks to get to my bike with nothing more than a light jacket over my t-shirt and i still sweat lol

most of my stuff is from decathlon, the 20 quid vest with a waterproof back pocket, the various light jackets that are water proof and a muddy fox one i use that was gifted to me, it is not water proof but it breathes so i tend to use that if its cold unless it is raining.

and they are all xxl sizes or even triple lol

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
Bike clothing sizing is completely bonkers and doesn't seem to bear an relation to normal clothes. If you buy online, find an outlet with free returns and buy three different sizes to try on. It's still possible that none of them will fit.
I'm one of the skinniest blokes around, and I brought some medium Castelli armwarmers once which were so tight they cut off my circulation.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Or at least manufacturers are subscribing to the policy of vanity sizing...

Two years ago I bought a Puma replica football shirt in "small", which is a slightly loose fit. This summer I wanted to buy the current replica shirt, also made by Puma. Went straight for a "small", only to find that it looks like I'm wearing a circus tent. I swear it's at least two (if not more) sizes larger, though ostensibly being sold as being the same. Needless to say I didn't buy. Even the XS was too big.

This, there was a programme on it a while back. Customer were getting upset when they could not fit in the size 12 of their youth and were now a size 14 due to putting on weight. So manufacturers of normal clothing started fudging the real size verses the label size.

But also with cycle clothing being a tighter fit in general differences in shoulder width, arm , leg size, waist etc. matter more than for looser fit clothing. So a large may fit you across the shoulders but not the waist or vice versa. So much of it is finding a cycle manufacturer that make clothes for your build as much as the nominal S,M, L.

bpsmith

Veteran
It’s also a case of reading the description of the fit. A number of brands sell kit designed to be proper fitted, relaxed fit or climbing fit, etc. You can’t expect Aero Fit to be the same as Relaxed Fit for example, by their very definition.

Size guides with the better brands tend to be very good, as long as you honestly measure yourself properly.

Top Bottom