Cycling clothing..is it just me?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hoppym27

OK, so I've just been getting set up with some basic clothing, padded shorts, couple of cheap muddyfox jerseys, Altura gilet

Is it just me or does everyone else have to buy 2 sizes bigger than normal???...Im normally a large in normal and running clothing but with jerseys and the gilet Ive had to buy 2XL!

Doobiesis

Über Member
Cycling clothing is meant to be tight so the wind doesn't get in the lose fabric and slow you down.

The more higher quality the garment, the smaller the sizes.

The Aldi sizes are a generous size, they'll be doing their winter clothes in the next month so keep an eye out.

Castelli is my make of choice you can feel the difference in cycling with those shorts.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Is it just me or does everyone else have to buy 2 sizes bigger than normal???
It depends what. Sometimes I have to buy large to get the arm length. Other times, that will result in a small tent billowing across my shoulders. I'm generally not wearing high-lycra fabrics because they irritate me, so there's less forgiveness in the stretching. There are some brands that I just can't wear at the moment because all sizes are either too short somewhere or absurdly long. I pretty much always either try it on or check the size charts online and measure it out.

vickster

Legendary Member
Depends on the brand. As above the higher cost European brands tend to run smaller than the Uk/US brands. Race fit is the slimmest cut, I expect that's the case with your Gilet as Altura can be more generously cut

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Anything made in Italy is tiny. I don't know where they get the sizes from, must be from children. l dont like things that are too tight, so don't bother with cycling tops in the main. I just use ordinary t shirts. I don't go fast enough to be bothered about aerodynamics. :laugh:

I do wear padded shorts though, and i tend to buy my size and they fit really well. I also have a merino wool base layer and jacket. Everything i have seems true to size. I have Altura, tenn, fat lad at the back clorhes. Good value and good fit.

I'm just glad the clothes are stretchy. I have been up and down on weight pretty bad last few years so I plan on two size bigger no mater what brand. If I was racing professional I would worry about tight fit. But due to lack of sponsors, no racing talent, a severe lack of being in that kind of shape I find that within a couple sizes to big things stay generally snug enough not look like I was chewed up and spit out, but loose enough that I don't look like a seal that swallowed a rhino.

BrynCP

Über Member
Some brands don't fit me at all, if the waist is right, the padding is wrong etc. (Aldi and Boardman are bad for this for me, the padding is useless for me - usually too far up at the front)

Then with DHB, the cheaper (less race cut) the shorts in their range, the closest to my normal size. I am normally a Large, my DHB ASV are XXL. DHB padding has always been a good fit for me though across the range.

I have some Castelli Endurance X2, XXL and they're a bit too small really, but I still wear them and the padding is great.

For jerseys, mostly mine are Large or XL and fit well, depending on if it's more race cut. I have a tiny chest though compared to waist. I have long arms which is sometimes a problem on L/S as not all brands are generous with arm length.

bpsmith

Veteran
The sizing is usually about right with Castelli, as long as you read the description of the product.

If it's race fit, then you can expect it to be pretty tight fitting. If it's an aero jersey, then it's ultra tight. They also do some looser fitting jerseys, which are described accordingly. I remember reading that there can be as much as 5cm difference in size between a race jersey and a no race jersey, so that it can stretch accordingly.

Also remember that the kit is designed to be worn on the bike, so a tight chest area when standing up, is snugly fitted whilst in riding position. If you pick one of these cuts, that is snug whilst stood up, then it will be rather loose when on the bike.

The real issue is that a lot of people want to buy brands like Castelli, but want a more relaxed fit. That's fine, but then they don't fit properly in the sleeves or the length, as each panel of the jersey is sized relatively.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
I may have returned more kit that you have ever bought! Even when they have a sizing guide, many a manufacturer seems to pay no regard to the stated dimensions.

And then there's the length .... When I order 2XL jersey, it often fits OK around the waist and chest but can be anything from 2 to 6 inches too short for me.

The most comfortable jersey I've got is my Gloucester Rugby Club cycling jersey. If you want a second row forward sized shirt, get it from a rugby club!

I'm not convinced that cycling clothing is wrong - its normal clothing seems to be getting bigger to cater for the increasing size of the average person

Or at least manufacturers are subscribing to the policy of vanity sizing...

Two years ago I bought a Puma replica football shirt in "small", which is a slightly loose fit. This summer I wanted to buy the current replica shirt, also made by Puma. Went straight for a "small", only to find that it looks like I'm wearing a circus tent. I swear it's at least two (if not more) sizes larger, though ostensibly being sold as being the same. Needless to say I didn't buy. Even the XS was too big.

Jason

Loving this thread, my good wife said I look scruffy in my mish mash of cycling attire and so ordered to buy matching shorts & tops , "like the flashy guys wear"
Tried Tredz and wiggle stuff in XXL and I looked like a seal coming out of it's mother at birth! Everything returned and bought after trying it on at Evans

Top Bottom