Cycling clubs in basingstoke?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

livpoksoc

Guru
Do any CC'ers know of any clubs in the Basingstoke area, that cater to those who are not necessarily the fastest/most experienced?

The first one on a Google search 'Cycle Club Basingstoke' looks a bit intense for what I'm looking for (a group to join on a weekend

_aD

Do not touch suspicious objects
I'm somewhatish nearby down in Liss, East Hants, but if you'd like to meet up of a weekend for a pootle I'm up for it. I ride a mountain bike so 12mph or below is fine for me :-)

kipster

Guru
Oakley Pedalers, I'm one. Generally three rides on a Saturday morning, a foundation is 40 miles at 14mph average, intermediate 50-60 miles at 15 - 16 mph and an advanced 50 - 80 miles at 16+. The also ride out on a Thursday evening, these are shorter but faster. Some of the rides are busy, but we are getting better at splitting them up. They are a friendly bunch. They also do occasional transition rides to bridge the gap between two groups.

I'm happy to answer any questions, or pop along to the car park by the school in Oakley, 9am start on a Saturday morning, so best to get there 8:45 ish.

As you see from my location
<--
also an Oakley Pedaler

I have lead a few "Leisure" rides which are 15 miles at 12 mph and they go up in stages from there or down to "family" . As Kipster says there are others going further and faster. All seem a good lot and the group has built up well over recent years.

I am not aware of any other group actually in Basingstoke. Before OP I used to go down to Alton where there was a good group.

Basingstoke is about the worst place in the world to cycle but come two miles out to Oakley and there are endless back lanes that are almost traffic free in all directions. Countryside is different in each direction. South is Chalk river valley, West and Northeast are good rural lanes. Northwest goes onto the North Wessex Downs with a few serious hills to deal with. I have been cycling around here for about six years and never run out of places to go and new bits to discover.

Broadside

Guru

Basingstoke is about the worst place in the world to cycle but come two miles out to Oakley and there are endless back lanes that are almost traffic free in all directions. Countryside is different in each direction. South is Chalk river valley, West and Northeast are good rural lanes. Northwest goes onto the North Wessex Downs with a few serious hills to deal with. I have been cycling around here for about six years and never run out of places to go and new bits to discover.

I'm in Fleet and frequently do a circular ride around Basingstoke. So long as you keep more than 2 miles out from the centre there are some fantastic roads and villages to ride through. Keep off the main roads and stick to the unclassified roads and you will have a great time around there, especially if you venture north to Kingsclere and Overton, west to the beautiful Test Valley or anywhere south all the way down to the coast, you are pretty well spoiled for choice.

OP
OP
livpoksoc

livpoksoc

Guru
Thanks all, seems good. Can I assume all your rides go off at the same time just in different groups? If so, I need to do a 40 miler this weekend, so could come and join you guys. If I have access to the car, is there parking available at the location you set off? If not, I'm only 6 miles away so could cycle over first thing.

Thanks all, seems good. Can I assume all your rides go off at the same time just in different groups? If so, I need to do a 40 miler this weekend, so could come and join you guys. If I have access to the car, is there parking available at the location you set off? If not, I'm only 6 miles away so could cycle over first thing.

Yes they all (apart from the beginners leisure ride) start off in a small carpark/layby in the Middle of Oakley. You can usually park there or if not in a nearby road.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Not much to add to OTH's excellent summary of the delights of cycling around Basingstoke. My own favourites are the NCN23 south to Alresford and the other way up to Hannington Mast, Watership Down and the hills around Newbury. I sometimes see riders from CC Basingstoke out and about and they seem friendly enough by club standards (not like them feckers from Sotonia:whistle:)

One question though - your location says Southampton, so why Basingstoke?

U

User169

There used to be a guy than ran some nice audaxes out of Oakley - I rode a couple about 10 years ago. I seem to remember Basingstoke CC members taking part - they didnt seem to be a particularly unfriendly or superspeedy lot.

kipster

Guru
@livpoksoc the rides on Saturday are, hope you can make it. I won't be there as I'm off up to Leeds to watch the start of le tour.

Foundation: 35-40 miles at 14 mph

Kingsworthy, Avington, Alresford, Candovers, options at Axford and home

Intermediate: Big Wheel Recce Ride – 48 miles at 15-15.5 mph

Hannington, Cole Henley, Wherwell, Barton Stacey, Steventon, Axford, Farleigh Wallop, Pack Lane and home

Garmin Link: http://connect.garmin.com/course/7130812

Advanced:– details at start of ride – approx 50-60 miles at 16+ mph

Big Wheel 22
Sunday 27th July
Starting from 9am at Down Grange Sports Complex, you can spend a glorious summer's day riding through the beautiful countryside of North Hampshire to raise much needed funds for your local Hospice. You can choose from one of our four breathtaking routes, <5 miles, 18, 31 or a challenging 63 miles.

http://www.stmichaelshospice.org.uk/?page=BW22

This seems a good place to plug a local Basingstoke charity event. Link has full details and routes. The 63 miler looks a nice route.

Top Bottom