Cycling clubs in basingstoke?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kipster

Guru
I did the 63 mile route last year, didn't ride enough before hand and the last 15 miles were a struggle. I'll be doing it again this year (plus 10 miles there and 10 miles home), and the planned inter/advanced full route recce next weekend. I've done a lot more time on the bike this year so should fly round. It is a good route, some nice hills, lovely flats and a great atmosphere.

OP
OP
livpoksoc

livpoksoc

Guru
Not much to add to OTH's excellent summary of the delights of cycling around Basingstoke. My own favourites are the NCN23 south to Alresford and the other way up to Hannington Mast, Watership Down and the hills around Newbury. I sometimes see riders from CC Basingstoke out and about and they seem friendly enough by club standards (not like them feckers from Sotonia:whistle:)

One question though - your location says Southampton, so why Basingstoke?

I regged here when I was based in Southampton, haven't updated it. I moved to Basingstoke in 2012, but this is the first year I've ventured out on my bike properly.

I had also heard Sotonia chaps weren't necessarily the most welcoming bunch, or at least they were very 'try hard' and not for the leisurely rider. Shame but if that's their bag, fair enough.

@livpoksoc the rides on Saturday are, hope you can make it. I won't be there as I'm off up to Leeds to watch the start of le tour.

Foundation: 35-40 miles at 14 mph

Kingsworthy, Avington, Alresford, Candovers, options at Axford and home

Intermediate: Big Wheel Recce Ride – 48 miles at 15-15.5 mph

Hannington, Cole Henley, Wherwell, Barton Stacey, Steventon, Axford, Farleigh Wallop, Pack Lane and home

Garmin Link: http://connect.garmin.com/course/7130812

Advanced:– details at start of ride – approx 50-60 miles at 16+ mph

Cheers, I'm likely to join for the 40 tomorrow (provided the heavy rain does fall tonight & not linger until tomorrow).

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I regged here when I was based in Southampton, haven't updated it. I moved to Basingstoke in 2012, but this is the first year I've ventured out on my bike properly.

I had also heard Sotonia chaps weren't necessarily the most welcoming bunch, or at least they were very 'try hard' and not for the leisurely rider. Shame but if that's their bag, fair enough.

Cheers, I'm likely to join for the 40 tomorrow (provided the heavy rain does fall tonight & not linger until tomorrow).

Aaaahhh - that would explain it. Enjoy your ride one-and-all.

I was slightly tongue-in-cheek about Sotonia as I know a couple of perfectly nice people who ride with them, but they are at the more 'committed' end of the spectrum.

OP
OP
livpoksoc

livpoksoc

Guru
Fair enough. My old manager was a member of Sotonia for years & said they were good guys but very competitive & weren't for newbies.

Either way enjoy your weekend rides! Hopefully the rain won't be that bad tomorrow morning.

OP
OP
livpoksoc

livpoksoc

Guru
Gahhh going to probably have to give tomorrow a miss. Was doing some hoovering this evening & as I straightened up, something gave way in my back. Hoping it'll clear in a couple of days with rest, but not ideal, was hoping to get up to 50 miles this weekend!

U

User169

I was in Oakley over the weekend. Saw a few Oakley pedalers outside the cafe opposite the school. Also saw quite a few riders passing through Oakley on Sunday, presumbly doing the Big Wheel rides.

You can really see how things have changed. I went for a run (Oakley - Malshangar - Upper Wootten - Wootten St Lawrence - Newfound - Oakley) and was passed by a dozen or so cyclists on race bikes and mountain bikes. When I regularly ran that route 20 years ago, I'd never have seen a cyclist.

Vertego

Just reflecting on the meaning of life.
To refresh this thread, I heard of Oakley Pedalers some time last year when I had a BT(?) engineer out. Bike was in the lounge (where else?) and got talking bikes (why is it cyclists cannot avoid talking bikes?). He said he rode with Oakley Pedalers and said allcomers welcome. Not race oriented, unlike CCB or NHRC, so it did appeal to me.

I intend making the effort to get over to Oakley when the weather improves - they do look like a welcoming bunch from their website. However, it does seem a bit of a cheat to drive there. I'm just not convinced I'm up to the ride from home and back again which would put another 20 miles on a ride.

kipster

Guru
@Vertego good to see you on this thread as well as the Bkool one :smile:

I regularly ride with the oakley Pedalers, and drive to the start, not cheating at all.

We are a welcoming bunch, give it a go. If you email the club and ask to go on the email circulation list, you'll get the planned rides for the coming weekend.

Vertego

Just reflecting on the meaning of life.
@kipster must say that it's a little difficult to miss your acid trip avatar :smile:

Yes, still getting used to the BKOOL - on a 30 day trial and I've only ridden it 4 times. Somehow I can't see it going back. But, wow, it can be hard (and pushes you to ride harder than normally).

I will make the effort to get over to Oakley, although I do confess to being a fair weather fairy!

Top Bottom