Cycling computer and data set up help.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Deeble

Regular
My next cycling spending spree will be to obtain a compatible gps computer/ heart rate/ speed and cadence set up that all nicely uploads to my strava account.

I really like Wahoo. The Elemnt bolt has been reduced to £185 on Wiggle which seems to be a good price. What are people's thoughts on this unit? It looks to have everything I need and/ or want inlcuding turn by turn navigation, loaded routes, strava live segments, text alerts etc. It looks absolutely brilliant.

I have a Wahoo tickr heart rate strap that I use indoors, have never set it up to use outdoors too but I think it is compatible? I might keep that as an indoor sweat trap one and go for a Wahoo bundle with hr strap (or armband??) and the sensors, they're a tad pricey at £55 but I can't really quibble if I'm willing to pay nearly £200 on a computer.

How would I then go about using all this and pairing it to strava? It seems set up with the wahoo companion app, I would always put my phone in my saddle bag for emergencies anyway but it seems silly if I need to run the app while cycling? My battery would be destroyed.

Can you discuss your computer set ups too please I'd like to hear what you all are using. :smile:

13 rider

Guru
I have a bolt and love it so simple to use lots of us on here have wahoo's and most of us are happy with them .
Strava live segments will require Strava subscription.
Your tickr will work seemlessly with the bolt
Everything is set up via an App and that includes linked to Strava
Edit
The bolt works without the app running on your phone . But you need the app open for text alerts

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Deeble

Regular
A lot of love for the Bolt! Thank you! Bit rubbish needing the app running but I suppose screen turned off in my saddle bag isn't going to use agreat deal of battery. Maybe a silly question, but does it NEED the speed sensor to track speed or would it upload the data with the speed tracked by gps like the strava app does? Probably a moot question as I'm very likely to get the sensors too.

On strava, I'm currently using the free trial of summit and loving it, this purchase would tip me over the edge to get strava full time so no worries there for the live segments and suchlike.

Very helpful hearing how easy it is to use, I was a little worried that I'd be plagued with X or Y not working properly because I'd set it up wrong.

13 rider

Guru
No you don't need the speed sensor . It will record and display speed via gps without a sensor . I am not bothered about text alerts so I don't have the app open and everything else works ok .
A speed sensor is supposedly more accurate but I'm not sure run 1 bike with and 1 without

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
A lot of love for the Bolt! Thank you! Bit rubbish needing the app running but I suppose screen turned off in my saddle bag isn't going to use agreat deal of battery. Maybe a silly question, but does it NEED the speed sensor to track speed or would it upload the data with the speed tracked by gps like the strava app does? Probably a moot question as I'm very likely to get the sensors too.

On strava, I'm currently using the free trial of summit and loving it, this purchase would tip me over the edge to get strava full time so no worries there for the live segments and suchlike.

Very helpful hearing how easy it is to use, I was a little worried that I'd be plagued with X or Y not working properly because I'd set it up wrong.
What do you mean you need the app? running? Do you mean the Elemnt app? Once you have downloaded the file to the Wahoo you dont even need a phone. I have had mine for 3 years and dont know what a speed sensor is. The most appealing thing about the Bolt is its simplicity in use and connectivity.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Deeble

Regular
Yes I mean the Elemnt app on your phone. It looks like it is only needed for a couple of features such as text alerts. I always have my phone in my saddlebag anyway in case of emergency so it's probably a moot point.

So the speed sensor is an extra £30 on wiggle (I could shop around) and speed and cadence is an extra £55. I'm struggling to see how a speed sensor in particular is at all needed if it tracks your live speed via gps and displays it on your handlebars as you ride?

13 rider

Guru
Yes I mean the Elemnt app on your phone. It looks like it is only needed for a couple of features such as text alerts. I always have my phone in my saddlebag anyway in case of emergency so it's probably a moot point.

So the speed sensor is an extra £30 on wiggle (I could shop around) and speed and cadence is an extra £55. I'm struggling to see how a speed sensor in particular is at all needed if it tracks your live speed via gps and displays it on your handlebars as you ride?
I bought my bolt as a bundle with cadence and speed sensor , if I bought it again I would just get the unit .Cadence was interesting to look at for a few rides but now I never look at it . Speed sensor I run 1 bike with and 1 without and can't tell the difference

As above Bolt user and never run the App unless i'm making a FW update, of which there have been quite a few recently...

Seemless set up with sensors and super easy to use. My only criticism is that the GPS isn't the easiest to follow and you can't really customise the layout of that page too much, having said that i have got more used the Bolt's GPS in the last few weeks and am starting to get on with it.

All my sensors (Speed, Cadence & Radar) are Garmin and work perfectly straight out of the box.

Mark pallister

Having the app open on the phone uses next to no battery,if your not fussed about getting txts ect you don’t need bother
no you don’t need a speed sensor ,gps does it for you

Last edited:

Domus

Guru
Love my Bolt 👍, I bought the bundle as it included a heart rate monitor, not sure about the speed sensor but I quite like the cadence sensor.
I'm sure you wont be disappointed.

OP
OP
D

Deeble

Regular
I've taken the plunge, just the computer with no accessories. Thanks for all your help guys, really appreciated.

Might be back for some tips on how to get the most out of it!

Top Bottom