Cycling computer or phone mount?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aescott

Hi

I‘m looking to spread my wings a bit this summer. I stay near Glasgow and am comfortable with the routes around here as I grew up here. My wife works in Liverpool and, being a teacher, I have a long summer holiday, so I’m planning on taking a bike to Liverpool and doing some exploring when she’s working during the day.

I‘d like some sort of handlebar-mounted device to help me stay on the right route - I’m not keen on having to stop and get a phone out to check things. I’ve seen phone mounts but have seen the phones pinging off. I’ve also seen some cycling computers and am a bit lost as to what to do. I don’t need lots of stats, power meters etc, just a way of checking the route and where I should be aiming for.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Slick

Guru
There's loads of options but I prefer Garmin although others swear by wahoo.

I suppose its down to personal preference for device, but I would check out Cycle Travel for plotting routes.
I reckon that is hard to beat.

Emanresu

Attachments

• Quadlock.jpg
    Quadlock.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 6

ExBrit

Über Member
I've had an expensive phone destroyed when I hit a pothole. Plus GPS drains the battery. I don't recommend using a cell phone.
I have had a Garmin and wasn't impressed. It was difficult to sync and didn't have some features.

I replaced the Garmin with a Wahoo ELMNT BOLT and my daughter has a ROAM. Both are very good.
The battery life is 15+ hours (more for the ROAM), ease of use is excellent and features are great and constantly being improved with software updates. It's also readable in direct sunlight (unlike a phone) which is very important here in SoCal.

There's also the Bryton which offers great value for money.

HTH

adamhearn

Veteran
If you can afford one a dedicated GPS device is the best option. Battery life covers many hours of riding with an always on screen showing navigation and phone alerts. For sure you can "make do" with a mount for your phone but it's just not the same.

Reactions: C R

Alex321

Veteran
I've used both, and strongly prefer the dedicated bike computer.

Mine is a Wahoo Elemnt Roam, some prefer Garmins, or there are other brands available.

There are several issues IME with the phone.
First, how long it lasts - you will only get a couple of hours of it constantly on showing ,maps, while my Wahoo has a runtime of around 17 hours.
Second, visibility - the dedicated computer is designed specifically to be visible in outdoor conditions, hile phones really aren't, and the contrast isn't really enough to be able to see maps clearly.
Third, control in wet weather. Touchscreens on phones don't work as well when the phone is wet, even if the phone is waterproof.
I think phones are also more likely to be damaged if you crash.

There are some advantages too, of course.
First cost. You probably already have a phone, while you would have to buy a computer.
Second, while the contrast isn't really good enough IMO for seeing maps while moving, you do have a larger screen, which will probably show a larger area of map.

Bristolian

When I got back into cycling last year I started off using my iPhone (other brands are available) but found the disadvantages outlined by Alex321 above, especially not being able to see the screen in bright sunlight, made it less than ideal. Another consideration was the potential for it getting broken in the event of falling/getting knocked off the bike. I searched around and found a good deal on the Garmin 530 just before they launched the 540 and dealers were clearing the shelves.

Longer battery life, more rugged construction, better visibility, etc., make it a much better device to use than the phone (which now resides in the back pocket of my jersey in case of emergencies). If I were looking now I'd go for the 1040 to have a larger screen but the 530 is perfectly usable.

Personally, I've not experienced any issues with the Garmin, although many on here have had problems in the past. I use Strava on my PC to create routes and they upload to the 530 at the click of a mouse button. Downloading data at the end of a ride is automatic to both Strava and Garmin Connect phone apps and PC.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I'll echo others - dedicated computer rather than phone. One disadvantage of the phone not mentioned above is that it is your only connection to the world if you are alone. If you flatten the battery, break or lose it, you're really on your own. If you lose, break or flatten the GPS unit you still have your phone for communication and navigation.

Plus a GPS unit is ruggedised and built for the conditions, plus takes up a lot less space on the bars. I started with a Wahoo ELEMNT Bolt which was fantastic, I am now on the Bolt v2 simply because I fancied an upgrade, it is also fantastic.

My Garmin 530 is pretty bombproof. Must admit I don't ride north of the Mersey but if you're heading to the Wirral give us a shout as it's easy to get into North Wales from here and Cheshire as well.

si_c

Guru
I ride with both my phone and a bike computer mounted to my handlebars. I use a quadlock mount, they're expensive, but well worth it and my phone has never come off the mount. A quick tip is to swap the rubber bands for some thick zip ties, that way the mount stays put as well.

I've come off a couple of times, the bike computer has come off (Garmin) but not the phone.

You can then pick your choice of apps to use to plan a route, Komoot is quite good, Ridewithgps another good option.

For routes around Liverpool check out the Wirral Loop (about 30 miles and accessible by train), the Chester Greenway and Wirral Way (train to West Kirby or Chester, and then return from the other). There are also the waterfront and the trans-pennine trail as well as the Leeds-Liverpool canal.

Top Bottom