Dedicated GPS or Mobile?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
As always “it depends”. What is your use case?

figbat

Slippery scientist
This is an age old and well worn question. For me it’s a dedicated device for several reasons:

- ruggedised for weather and vibration protection
- less expensive to lose or damage
- great battery life
- good visibility of the screen
- keeps your phone available for emergency calls or navigation if you flatten the computer battery
- less intrusive on the bars
- put simply - designed for the job!

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I'm tight so in your position I'd maybe consider making do with a phone, except that I don't own one as I don't want Bill Gates beaming covid rays directly into my head via 5g :tongue:

Tinfoil hats aside, Figbat makes an excellent case above for having separate devices.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I carry both.

If you are doing trips of more than a couple of hours, Ivwould go for a gps unit. The reason I say that is because navigation eats phone battery power quickly . Mobile phones are not designed to take the shocks they get perched on a handlebar. Mobile phones can be effected by both rain and sun. Your phone is an easy target for a thief if its on the handlebar.

Gps units are hardier and are meant for the job .

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
dedicated device, even if just logging miles. We sort of proved a dedicated device was better last week when one of us had a bad crash whilst MTB'ing - we just picked the Garmin out of the mud as it was half burried following a big crash. Phone was tucked away in a bag.

Interested to know the thoughts on weather a phone or dedicated gps is the way to go?

The most up to date wisdom from the community is here
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/why-is-cycle-navigation-so-complicated.288154/

And here
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/‘up-front’-phone-mount.288481/

As always with such a simple question the answer can be complex and very much depends on circumstances and preferences.

I'd be lost (metaphorically and literally) without my GPS but my GPS is only so useful because of my phone!

I didn't bother with GPS for years. Now I have a Garmin and my routes have definitely improved.

What are you using now and how are you finding it ?

You can get by with just some route notes and a phone to check if you get stuck. A dedicated GPS isn't essential.

OP
OP
roundisland
This is an age old and well worn question. For me it’s a dedicated device for several reasons:

- ruggedised for weather and vibration protection
- less expensive to lose or damage
- great battery life
- good visibility of the screen
- keeps your phone available for emergency calls or navigation if you flatten the computer battery
- less intrusive on the bars
- put simply - designed for the job!

everyone a valid reason thank you

OP
OP
roundisland
I'm tight so in your position I'd maybe consider making do with a phone, except that I don't own one as I don't want Bill Gates beaming covid rays directly into my head via 5g :tongue:

Tinfoil hats aside, Figbat makes an excellent case above for having separate devices

I can get my hands on a dedicated gps if needed. Interested to hear all your thoughts. I can't afford to loose any more brain cells so it could well be the dedicated gps!

OP
OP
roundisland
I carry both.

If you are doing trips of more than a couple of hours, Ivwould go for a gps unit. The reason I say that is because navigation eats phone battery power quickly . Mobile phones are not designed to take the shocks they get perched on a handlebar. Mobile phones can be effected by both rain and sun. Your phone is an easy target for a thief if its on the handlebar.

Gps units are hardier and are meant for the job .

Good points made, I am anticipating at least 5+ hours a day in the saddle so it seems like a dedicated GPS is the way to go.

OP
OP
roundisland
The most up to date wisdom from the community is here
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/why-is-cycle-navigation-so-complicated.288154/

And here
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/‘up-front’-phone-mount.288481/

As always with such a simple question the answer can be complex and very much depends on circumstances and preferences.

I'd be lost (metaphorically and literally) without my GPS but my GPS is only so useful because of my phone!

Helpful links thank you. seems like a gps is the way to go.

Top Bottom