‘Up front’ Phone mount

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sloth

Anyone got or had either a Quadlock or Peak Design ‘up front’ type phone mount?
Others are available but don’t quiet tick as many boxes.
The Peak Design looks great but the best price I can get is just over £80 for the mount and phone case.
The Quadlock is less, at under £60 for the non pro version or about £20 extra for the pro.

Is the Quadlock ‘Pro’ worth the extra?
Is the Peak Design worth the premium?

Any other suggestions for a slim, simple and efficient mount?

Jameshow

Veteran
Any way to use a Garmin up front mount.

You need a male mount that you could attach to your phone some how?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/22505654...tixoXeJTeO&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Hmmm, so does this glue to the phone case back then?
Thus enabling it to fit into any Garmin mount/bracket?

Shoxt3r

I've got my Pixel 4 bolted into this and it's been solid as a rock since day one. I tend to ride over rough pathways most of the time and it's never slipped out once. It looks a little basic and has some foam padding which you can stick on to protect the phone when it's clamped into place. It also looks like it comes with a range of mounting options which weren't pointed out on the original Halfords listing but I've opted for the standard handlebar mount.

The adjustment screw is secure but also easy to undo by hand if you need to get to your phone quickly and you can swivel it around if you prefer to have your phone in landscape like I do.

Honestly, I really can't fault it.

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lixada-Mountian-Universal-Adjustable-Bicycle/dp/B072XNFFH3/

si_c

Guru
I have a Quadlock mount, non-pro, mounted on my stem, in fact I have several, one for each bike. They are very good, and well worth the investment in money, especially if you have a phone which can use one of their cases. Like I said I have the stem mount option, but that's because I have Garmin out front mounts on my bikes which make the out front quadlock mount awkward to install.

I have the Pixel 6 Pro and the case itself is very high quality, arguably one of the best cases I've used for a phone, albeit a little thicker than most due to the mounting mechanism. It's incredibly easy to get the phone on or off the stem, regardless of whether I'm riding or not although the outfront pro mount does look to be slightly easier with it's lever release.

No offense to the Lixada mount above, but I wouldn't expect it to hold my phone on an MTB trail, and the Quadlock does.

si_c

Guru

Probably something like this

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Universal-Adapter-KOM-Cycling/dp/B076P316M8
but be very careful about how you mount to your phone.

If you mount it to the case be aware that those 3M VHB pads don't adhere to TPU particularly well and that is what most phone cases are made from. I wouldn't trust my phone to it, lets put it like that.

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Probably something like this

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Universal-Adapter-KOM-Cycling/dp/B076P316M8
but be very careful about how you mount to your phone.

If you mount it to the case be aware that those 3M VHB pads don't adhere to TPU particularly well and that is what most phone cases are made from. I wouldn't trust my phone to it, lets put it like that.

Yes, the universal adaptors always make me worry about the adhesive eventually loosening, with catastrophic results!
Is there such a thing as an after-market phone case with a built in Garmin fixing on the back (as per the Quadlock cases etc.), rather than glueing an adaptor on?
I'm sure Garmin wouldn't make one as they want us to buy Garmin units, but surely someone else has already thought of this?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Some Options discussed here
https://www.bikeradar.com/advice/buyers-guides/best-bike-phone-holder/
What phone do you actually have?
Thanks, I have an iPhone 12 Mini.
I'm sort of familiar with a few of the 'alternatives' to Quadlock and Peak Design but I do like their simple and neat fitting solutions. Especially the Peak Design, but it's soooo expensive!
Mind you I've managed to get another (on top of the previous 10% discount) £100 off my bike (which I collect on Saturday) so perhaps I'll treat it as money I wouldn't have had anyway and treat myself? :okay:

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Appreciate that guys, but a decent Garmin will set me back nearly £300, which I don't have. What I do already have is a decent phone that can utilise apps.

si_c

Guru
Having taken a quick look at the Peak Design stuff, I think their cases look a bit better than the Quadlock stuff, and the mounting mechanism seems decent so you probably can't go wrong with either.

If you get the Quadlock though, I recommend you also get the Poncho for the case, it's a few quid more but means your phone is better protected in dreadful weather / if it does happen to go flying, not that the latter has ever happened to me.

Top Bottom