‘Up front’ Phone mount

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
Appreciate that guys, but a decent Garmin will set me back nearly £300, which I don't have. What I do already have is a decent phone that can utilise apps.

You will find that a dedicated bicycle GPS computer will be much easier to read than the phone, particularly in bright light or darkness. Also more robust, and the battery will last much longer than your phone battery will if using it as a GPS bike computer.

I used my phone for the first year or so I was back into cycling, then bought a computer at the same time as my new bike, and I haven't regretted it for one moment.

If you don't want navigation (it does hold ride data which can be transferred to strava), you can get the Lezyne Macro Easy for the same as the Quadlock Pro (£80), or you can get the Lezyne Super Pro which does have navigation features and integration with phone app for £120.

Or you can really splash out and get the Wahoo Elmnt Roam (which I use and fully recommend )for £200. Still quite a bit less than the £300 you were suggesting for mid-range Garmins (though the Edge 130 is available for £169)

markemark

Über Member
Got the quad-lock and superglue the lock to a charging case. This works great as my phone then gets around 3 battery usages as I just switch on the charging case when the phone battery runs low.

vickster

Legendary Member
You will find that a dedicated bicycle GPS computer will be much easier to read than the phone, particularly in bright light or darkness. Also more robust, and the battery will last much longer than your phone battery will if using it as a GPS bike computer.

I used my phone for the first year or so I was back into cycling, then bought a computer at the same time as my new bike, and I haven't regretted it for one moment.

If you don't want navigation (it does hold ride data which can be transferred to strava), you can get the Lezyne Macro Easy for the same as the Quadlock Pro (£80), or you can get the Lezyne Super Pro which does have navigation features and integration with phone app for £120.

Or you can really splash out and get the Wahoo Elmnt Roam (which I use and fully recommend )for £200. Still quite a bit less than the £300 you were suggesting for mid-range Garmins (though the Edge 130 is available for £169)

He was asking about navigation recently so I assume it will be a driver for whichever device is used

vickster

Legendary Member
Hang on for Black Friday if you can, there are usually deals on bike navs

Personally I'd go for a Garmin Edge explore with a decent sized screen if not worried about the performance/training stuff like cadence and HR eg https://www.probikekit.co.uk/bicycl...dge-explore-gps-cycling-computer/12001160.htm
There's an updated version at £250 review https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2022/07/garmin-edge-explore-2-in-depth-review.html
(I hated the navigation on the first gen black and white Wahoo Elemnt I had, couldn't fathom it at all, the Garmin is closer to a car sat nav style. The one and only time I tried to do directions on the fly, it thought an extremely muddy bridle path was suitable for a road bike :wacko:)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

All great food for thought, perhaps I'll hold off buying a phone mount for now.
I liked the apparant simplicity of the user interface/icons on the Mio, and any device would need to have an 'avoid main roads' and preferably also an 'avoid off-road' function if possible. Thats a biggy for me.

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Not bothered about all the Strava stuff and comprehensiove performance data, just basic speed/time/cadence/nav.

Alex321

Veteran
All great food for thought, perhaps I'll hold off buying a phone mount for now.
I liked the apparant simplicity of the user interface/icons on the Mio, and any device would need to have an 'avoid main roads' and preferably also an 'avoid off-road' function if possible. Thats a biggy for me.

Have you seen this review of the Cyclo 215?
https://www.xiaomist.com/2019/05/11-times-yes-and-3-times-no-review-of.html

It does have a choice to avoid (or to prefer) off road and/or Main roads.

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

This feature is important to me, I can't find it as a feature on the Garmin Explore 2?

Alex321

Veteran
This feature is important to me, I can't find it as a feature on the Garmin Explore 2?

Surprisingly, I don't think many of them have that feature built in. But I think most rely on you planning the routes using software on your PC or phone, then downloading to the device.

It does look like that Cyclo215 fits your requirements pretty well.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the iPhone camera sensitivity to vibration - one thing I'd be looking for is a decent vibration damping setup (and even then I might wince a bit). Well, I wouldn't because I use a much-less-than-£300 Wahoo computer and keep my phone in a pocket or backpack.

Top Bottom