‘Up front’ Phone mount

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Mind you, if I can't find an app that is easy to use and gives the desired functions (i.e. turn by turn and avoid main rods etc.) then I will have to reconsider using my phone for nav anyway!

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Mind you, if I can't find an app that is easy to use and gives the desired functions (i.e. turn by turn and avoid main rods etc.) then I will have to reconsider using my phone for nav anyway!

If you use your phone consider these things. It eats battery power when being used for navigation. If riding off road the vibrations a
can destroy it as can heat and rain.

Buy a cheap Wahoo Bolt instead. Mine was £50 and it is perfect.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
This feature is important to me, I can't find it as a feature on the Garmin Explore 2?

It certainly has the avoid off road feature, and I think avoid main roads is there as well though it uses the USA term major highways. It sits in the phone Garmin Connect app in the device menus under each profile and then navigation -> routing -> avoidance setup. You can of course also change on device if you don’t want to link it to your phone.

Edit - here you go, found the routing avoidance settings in the phone Garmin Connect app settings for my Edge Explore 2.

C36F8796-E2AE-4DBF-AD56-B8A98B2BC352.jpeg

Last edited:
What never? Or just during the ride? The vibrations from an undamped mount can permanently break the autofocus system on newer iPhones, meaning it won't work at all.

Also, if charging on the move the sockets on phones are not designed for the rougher stuff or indeed damp weather.

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

It certainly has the avoid off road feature, and I think avoid main roads is there as well though it uses the USA term major highways. It sits in the phone Garmin Connect app in the device menus under each profile and then navigation -> routing -> avoidance setup. You can of course also change on device if you don’t want to link it to your phone.

Edit - here you go, found the routing avoidance settings in the phone Garmin Connect app settings for my Edge Explore 2.

View attachment 665895
Thanks, seems I now have at least two options for dedicated GPS/Nav should I go that route (pardon the pun!) instead of using my phone.
The Explore 2 and the Mio 215.

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

What never? Or just during the ride? The vibrations from an undamped mount can permanently break the autofocus system on newer iPhones, meaning it won't work at all.
Well obviously not never, just when out riding.
I did not know that these mounts were that bad or that my camera could be damaged. Is this an undisputed and accepted fact then, as it is a concern?
Would the Quadlock stuff be as bad, they seem very popular and surely would have been flagged up by now?

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Weel obviously not never, just when out riding.
I did not know that these mounts were that bad or that my camera could be damaged. Is this an undisputed and accepted fact then, as it is a concern?
Would the Quadlock stuff be as bad, they seem very popular and surely would have been flagged up by now?

Vibration is bad for iPhone cameras according to Apple
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT212803

Attaching your iPhone to vehicles with small-volume or electric engines, such as mopeds and scooters, may lead to comparatively lower-amplitude vibrations, but if you do so, a vibration dampening mount is recommended to lessen the risk of damage to your iPhone and its OIS and AF systems. It is also recommended to avoid regular use for prolonged periods to further lessen the risk of damage.

Maybe people just aren't aware when they use these mounts (or they use other phones)

si_c

Guru
Weel obviously not never, just when out riding.

There were significant problems with it on some older versions, but I believe it was more related to motor bikes than bicycles and down to the engine rather than road vibration. As you say, there would have been a lot said about it with relation to Quadlock type mounts and most of the people who rate them so highly are all apple users.

tom73

Guru
Keep your phone out the way out front together with the power drain on the phone is asking for trouble.
My iPhone stays in the jersey pocket I'd never risk it mounted on the front.
Go with a Wahoo pared with your phone via the app which is simple to use and just works.
Plenty of Wahoo units on the bay due to users upgrading.

figbat

Slippery scientist
No way I would want my iPhone attached to my bike. I very rarely even take it with me unless I fancy taking a few photos on a nice day.

Mine goes with me mostly as an emergency contact option - I will also use it for pictures occasionally. Mostly it goes either in my jersey pocket or in my MTB backpack and never comes out until I get home. No way I would put a £1,000 phone on the bars. A £200 computer, which is ruggedised and built for the job... yes.

No way I would want my iPhone attached to my bike. I very rarely even take it with me unless I fancy taking a few photos on a nice day.

Personally, I could never be comfortable with a phone on the bike.
It's the one thing that I may well need after a crash and it may be broken! Or just have a depleted battery.
Being tight, the idea of putting such an expensive item in such a vulnerable position makes me sweat just thinking about it!
I'd also worry in some places that it might act like a magnet for thieves.
On a practical level I use my phone for photos and having it securely mounted is only going to discourage me from taking photos.

Alex321

Veteran
Mine goes with me mostly as an emergency contact option - I will also use it for pictures occasionally. Mostly it goes either in my jersey pocket or in my MTB backpack and never comes out until I get home. No way I would put a £1,000 phone on the bars. A £200 computer, which is ruggedised and built for the job... yes.

Mine is an android rather than iphone, but I also carry it for emergencies and occasional photos (which have been becoming more frequent since I started posting in the various photo gallery threads here). Always in my jersey pocket.

Top Bottom