Cycling computer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
I rode with a wired computer for many years and was reliable. The only drawback was if you had multiple bikes and then you need multiple wheel magnets and fixing kits and if different tyre sizes having to recalibrate them.

A GPS computer is great for switching easily from bike to bike.
This exactly why I plan on buying a basic GPS computer when I am allowed to ride again. I only want very basic info from my rides and the cheapo Raleigh branded wired computers on my three most ridden bikes do that perfectly and I am perfectly happy with them.

However I do own and ride many bikes with wheels from 16" to 28" and do buy, use for a while and sell others and it is too much hassle to swap wired computers between bikes.

I did only own one or two bikes I'd stick with wired as they're cheap and reliable.

Alex321

Veteran
Yes I understand that but you do see many cyclists with clipless pedals riding at night I'm just pointing out that many people don't cycle within the law and bikes are configured that way straight from a cycle shop sometimes although saying that many bikes come with basic pedals that do have reflectors whether shops still include them when they have sold a bike with clipless pedals and lights I don't know.
Most clipless pedals don't even have the facility for reflectors on the rear.

I think if the law requires reflectors to be fitted if riding at night, then they shouldn't meet the relevant standards unless they can be fitted.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Most clipless pedals don't even have the facility for reflectors on the rear.

I think if the law requires reflectors to be fitted if riding at night, then they shouldn't meet the relevant standards unless they can be fitted.
the shoes i use for commuting have reflective bits built in , i wonder under law if thats a work around for clipless ? although i doubt the plod are that bothered tbh

freiston

Veteran
the shoes i use for commuting have reflective bits built in , i wonder under law if thats a work around for clipless ? although i doubt the plod are that bothered tbh
Legally, that is not a workaround because any lights or reflectors required by law must be fitted to the bike. It's not so much plod as it is a driver's insurance company's legal team that my concerns are with but above all that, my primary concern is whether I am safe and responsible in respect of both myself and other road users - and complying with the regulations is as good a starting place as any to assure this. Having said that, my personal opinion is that yellow reflective ankle bands are very much in the realm of the spirit of the law and in practice not much different to pedal reflectors.

My cycling boots have reflective bits too but they are on the back only and white not amber (regulations are for front and rear facing amber pedal reflectors).

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
There are some good apps that can be used to collect data on your route, speed, split times, elevation and all that jazz. Then you keep it in your pocket and you to not feel obliged to stare at the thing as you go around. The last thing I personally want to do during my ride is look at a screen.

Top Bottom