Cycling computer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
What do you want it to do?
you won’t get anything fancy for that budget (at least not new), I always found Cateye wireless worked well
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/cateye-velo-wireless-plus-bike-computer

used could get you a Garmin
eg ending today https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175136907106?hash=item28c6f91f62:g:KXsAAOSwTzxh-BMy

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
Cateye is your best bet there I think, although Bryton do a GPS (the Rider 15) which is about £15 more, if that is something which interests you.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Depends what you want - Cateye computers are great, the wireless ones really good. If you want GPS and logging, then the basic Garmins, Wahoo, Bryton's will do that for a little more.

In a pinch I would just use my Android phone, just load Strava app or similair, you can add a bluetooth heart rate monitor as well. Possibly other bluetooth stuff. I have had several Garmins and they go faulty more often than a phone for me ( though my 1030 has been faultless so far lasts forever on a single charge) . If worried about battery drain buy a external battery pack.

Sharky

Guru
I rode with a wired computer for many years and was reliable. The only drawback was if you had multiple bikes and then you need multiple wheel magnets and fixing kits and if different tyre sizes having to recalibrate them.

A GPS computer is great for switching easily from bike to bike.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I had a Cateye Strada on my road bike before I joined the ranks of the Wahooligans, it was perfect for what I needed at the time. I only got a Wahoo because I needed navigation, otherwise I'd still happily be using a Cateye.

unless you want to know how many drain covers you pass, farts you do or seagulls you see then you might need to join the strava collective.
There are a lot of reasons for using Strava or RWGPS other than measuring performance, drains, farts etc.

I use it as a daily record of where I've travelled (touring). Adding pictures is child's play, notes can be added too.
I wish I had known about that (free) feature when I first started riding.

It's also useful for simple record keeping for consumables like chains, cassettes etc.

In strange places they can be useful for finding routes that locals use.

Your derision and disdain is misplaced, I believe

freiston

Veteran
Cateye it is then as I don’t need navigation thank u all for your input 😃👍
I use a basic computer (Cateye Velo 7) as it fulfils my requirements (I don't want one for navigation, Strava, health monitoring etc). I used to use the Cateye Micro Wireless which would have been excellent except for two big issues: i) it is far too fiddly and awkward to use - I would often make several attempts to zero the trip meter but end up switching the backlight mode on and off 10 times or more instead, and ii) if I kept my phone near it (such as mounted on the handlebar or in a barbag), it would affect and often report my speed at about 6mph when it was closer to 20 mph and often report my maximum speed at about 60 mph (I usually hit 27-32 mph as max).

The wired Velo 7, as well as being a lot cheaper, is a lot easier to use and a lot more reliable (than the Micro on account of the wireless interference issue). The Micro had the backlight which was nice at night time, and the ability to give two trip meterings which was nice, especially for measuring daily and total mileages on a multi-day trip, and also for some navigation applications but ultimately too fiddly and complicated to use.

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
Cateye it is then as I don’t need navigation thank u all for your input 😃👍

I used a cateye for a while however soon found I wanted the 'extras' a gps unit offered so maybe worth investing a little more at this stage?

I got a reconditioned garmin edge 130 last year for £80 which does everything I need.
The XOSS G+ gets decent reviews and can be had for £40 ish quid.
I always found the cateye never gave me a true reading no matter how I set it up

At the cheap end of the scale is this product for £9.99 delivered. Cycle computer with lots of features and backlight (not gps). Also powerful light with fog lights and side lights, there is a remote control for light and horn operation, also alarm feature and its quite powerful with regard lumens, horn output and battery capacity. Probably easy to replace the batteries down the line as suspect it will be those 18650 cells inside. What quality it is, is another matter. Such products can be hit or miss. I think I read it has some ebike features related to setting range etc. I'd imagine not a bad option to keep the weight down as you are combining so many things into one item.

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B091YRQ3G2

71cAyETguUS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Top Bottom