Wifi cycling computer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Got an ald garmin 800 edge, but as my laptop has died I've no way of uploading information. Can anyone a cycling computer that allows for uploading using WiFi to strava so I can get all my information on my mobile?
Obviously I can use strave app on my phone whilst cycling but would rather use a proper bike computer in wet conditions

Joffey

Big Dosser
Doesn’t the 800 connect to your phone which will then upload the info for you?

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Most of the newer Garmin's have Bluetooth connectivity. They auto upload to the Garmin connect app on your phone which inturn loads to Strava. Just check the spec of the one you buy for Bluetooth.

vickster

Legendary Member
I think the 800 was the last of that series not to have Wifi/Bluetooth. I have the 830 which is an updated model (it seems to sync on wifi much better than Bluetooth). There’s probably an 840 now.

Other newer Garmins will also do, depends what features needed / budget

Not sure what cable would connect an 800 to a smartphone to the point above

Then there’s Wahoo models as an alternative (although my old one never synced well with iOS).

Look at DC Rainmaker for reviews

PaulSB

Legendary Member
My Wahoo Elemnt, first generation, syncs seamlessly with Strava, RWGPS, Komoot and my phone. Syncing is via Bluetooth or WiFi depending on circumstances and use. I don't think I've tried using mobile data, rarely have a need for that.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I think the 800 was the last of that series not to have Wifi/Bluetooth. I have the 830 which is an updated model (it seems to sync on wifi much better than Bluetooth). There’s probably an 840 now.

Other newer Garmins will also do, depends what features needed / budget

Not sure what cable would connect an 800 to a smartphone to the point above

Then there’s Wahoo models as an alternative (although my old one never synced well with iOS).

Look at DC Rainmaker for reviews

Yes amazingly my 800 is still alive and working, the cable has a regular USB at the "computer" end so you would need a USB C (or whatever your phone or tablet output port is) to USB converter for it to work. e.g.

1690444154799.png

worth a try for £15?

I think every new / recent-ish Garmin you can buy now (and probably same for Wahoo) auto upload from wifi &/or bluetooth once you have them set up properly via Garmin / Wahoo App. But they very occasionally don't upload, just because... :wacko:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I think you're right. The Edge 800 manual is here https://static.garmin.com/pumac/Edge_800_OM_EN.pdf
I had a quick look and couldn't find any reference to connecting to phone via Bluetooth.

as above, I've had one for years and it definitely doesn't connect to anything without its cable!!! :laugh:

vickster

Legendary Member
Don't think it does, and with the quotes below I think I'm looking at a new one, don't want to particularly pay the price I did for my 800 tho 😳

Get a second hand 830 or Explore (if you're more interested in the navigation than the performance type data)? :smile:
These do appear on Yorkshire Cycling sales and similar Facebook market place groups

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Doesn’t the 800 connect to your phone which will then upload the info for you?

I think it's usb only, although it does have a micro SD card slot, unsure if any ride data ends up on the card however.

There is a wealth of cycling computers available these days to match whatever use case you have, and almost all of them sync with bluetooth to your phone, so even if you don't have the budget for the latest top of the range Garmin, there's bound to be something more capable than the old garmin 800 at a reasonable price.

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I think it's usb only, although it does have a micro SD card slot, unsure if any ride data ends up on the card however.

You can specify where the rides are saved in the 800 settings.
I still have my old 800 and although I never use it it has sentimental value.
The explore had more than enough connectivity for me,doesn't support power meters or have live Strava segments afaik but I'm not than into it to worry about that.bigger screen than the 800 and updated maps

the_mikey

Legendary Member
You can specify where the rides are saved in the 800 settings.
I still have my old 800 and although I never use it it has sentimental value.
The explore had more than enough connectivity for me,doesn't support power meters or have live Strava segments afaik but I'm not than into it to worry about that.bigger screen than the 800 and updated maps

I still have mine for similar reasons, I doubt it'll ever see it's way around another audax, but it served me well during the years I used it. I mostly use a Garmin Edge 160 these days, and an old Wahoo Bolt v1, neither one particularly outlandish with their monochrome LCD displays but they both do exactly what I need them to.

D

Deleted member 26715

I have the Garmin 800 along with a Samsung A53, I also have a Macbook Pro which does not have an Ethernet port so work provided a dongle which goes into USB 'C' it has an Ethernet port, 2x USB & a DVI port on it.

I have just plugged the adapter into the phone, the Garmin into the adapter & now with Samsung file explorer can see the Activities on the Garmin which means logically if I had Strava on the phone I could upload the activities.

Top Bottom