Cycling computers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I would be willing to let my Garmin 520 go for £100. It has a full UK map on it, but you have to prepare your route in advance,m you cannot navigate on the fly.

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Well the edge touring has come back to me at £70

Im thinking i might go for that as it does everything i want just seems a bit dated maybe?

Is it easy enough to transfer planed routes from kamoot to the edge?

I like that you can just pop in a postcode and it will take you there

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Well the edge touring has come back to me at £70

Im thinking i might go for that as it does everything i want just seems a bit dated maybe?

Is it easy enough to transfer planed routes from kamoot to the edge?

I like that you can just pop in a postcode and it will take you there

You make a route on what ever is your preffered mapping software, save to your computer as a tcx or gpx file. Attach your Garmin Touring to your computer then transfer the tcx or gpx file to the 'New Files' folder on the Garmin. Once loaded it will show up as a saved course. It will then give you turn by turn instructions.
I used my Touring yesterday for a 200km Audax It took 8 and half hours and still had over 25% power left.
However, be aware that the Touring has quite a steep learning curve and is pretty prone to glitches.

You can check out DC Rainmakers review of the Touring on his website. (Google DC Rainmaker)

vickster

Legendary Member
Isn’t the touring just a stripped back version of the old 800?

I’d get an 810. I had an 800 and it was a total faff to use for Strava etc. It was just my back up to my phone, my phone is now a back up to my Elemnt

vickster

Legendary Member
Theres one not far from me for £80 with aero mount.

Whats the navigation like? Easy to follow?

Or i might just put the extra in and get the bolt for 150ish
Do you want something with a map that you can follow on the fly like in a car or Google map directions? If so, I think you need the 800 or 1000 Garmin or a Wahoo

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
It would be nice to have that option but to be honest at the moment i just plan a route then follow it so thats fine, just want something thats easy to follow really
Something that is easy to move a planned route from kamoot to the device

Ill still have kamoot running as i like that i can see how many miles ive done per month or full year just wont need to use the maps so hopefully wont lose battery anywhere near as much

aferris2

Guru
I've got a Garmin 520. It's a couple of years old and the battery doesn't last more than about 5 hours whilst navigating (it's slightly better when just logging where I am going). I bought an Anker 20100 battery pack to help things. Fantastic piece of kit. Would probably keep the phone and garmin topped up for a couple of days or more.

vickster

Legendary Member
It would be nice to have that option but to be honest at the moment i just plan a route then follow it so thats fine, just want something thats easy to follow really
Something that is easy to move a planned route from kamoot to the device

Ill still have kamoot running as i like that i can see how many miles ive done per month or full year just wont need to use the maps so hopefully wont lose battery anywhere near as much
Battery pack ftw. Save your £100
I don’t know if Komoot works well with Garmin

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Touring is OK. Does what it says on the tin. Not a lot in the way of bells and whistles.

Only problem I had with mine was that it barfed if I asked it to navigate very long routes. (Actually the root cause may not have been the long routes, it may have been the source of the files, I never figured it out) I just always chopped my long routes into a series of shorter routes to follow and it was fine.

I don't use the Touring much these days because Garmin "fixed" (actually just replaced) my Oregon that I had broken, and I much prefer that.

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Thinking i might go down the battery pack route for now saving some money as im happy with kamoot just not battery life

Top Bottom