Cycling Computers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i think it's just a case of you either like them or you don't. i do, but there are other cyclists i know who don't; and it does not demarcate the best cyclists from the worst.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Depends how you use them.

I can go out for a training ride and keep an eye on the numbers cos I'm trying to achieve speed or something.

Equally I can go out for a ride and not bother about the numbers at all.

I do like to know how many miles at the end of any ride tho'.

Bigtallfatbloke

mine is faulty again and I miss it.

I usually have it set so I can only see the distance covered and my current speed. I ride loops so I need to know th edistance when to turn back home before I collapse!

longers

Legendary Member
I agree with you entirely Ivancarlos. I've still got one on each bike but when they are broke or needing new batteries I have some very enjoyable rides.
More enjoying the moment than analysing everything to death.
My main reason for a computer is an interest in distances covered than av speeds though.

Joe

Über Member
I'm with twentysix by twentyfive. When I'm just cruising around I can have a really enjoyable ride without looking at it.
When I'm going for speed though, it can become an epic battle with the numbers. And they always win:angry:

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Mines broke, and i havent got round to replacing it yet, i think i will wait till i get a new bike.
But i'm not really missing it, i still put it on so i can see the time, but thats about it.
I do want to see what my average speeds are because i think i have got faster, and how long it has taken me to do the miles i did, but thats about it.

Membrane

I have 2 computers on the bike, one that also has a heart rate monitor. During a ride I rarely watch its display, I have the HRM set to sound an audible alarm for when I cross into the VO2max zone. I like to alternate shorter rides where I push into VO2Max and longer rides where I want to stay below VO2Max.

I use the other features after the ride to see how I've done, max speed, average speed, average HR, max HR, trip distance etc. I find the trends useful to monitor my fitness level (lack of more likely).

The other computer is set up as a cadence meter, that one I glance at frequently. I use it to determine when to shift gear.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I'm collecting tokens fron Corn Flakes packets. Collect 3 and you can get a computer for the price of an envelope and a stamp :biggrin:

Well they'll do on the kids bikes :biggrin::biggrin:

KitsuneAndy

I have one, but it's only really any good to keep track of distance as it doesn't have a timer facility or an average speed. Half tempted to upgrade to one that does so that I can see how I'm improving.

yenrod

Before I got it (comp.) it wasn;t such a deal but endeed up with one...

Now its always on the Average speed + Current spped as i don't like seeing how far I've gone or time I've been out or the actual time itself for some reason :biggrin:

They're mainly an end of ride thing or maybe to check out how fast yuou were going at a specific point, just after, a happening or such like.

I've a HRM - which I only use every so often as the bugger seems to display stupid figures = need new batts. !

ivancarlos said:
Went out a ride today. Really lovely it was too. What was interesting was I haven't got round to fitting a computer onto my bike yet and I have to say it feels quite liberating not to have one. As much as I like knowing the figures I can enjoy the ride more without slavishly keeping the average speed up! Does anyone else know what I mean?

I know what you mean. I like to keep mine on the 'clock', enjoy the ride and check out the stats later.

mondobongo

Über Member
Rode for 4 years without one succumbed when I went to the dark side, like to keep an eye on speed whilst out other stats go in training diary after ride. Starting to think about getting a heart rate monitor now.

Top Bottom