Cycling Computers

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Renard, 7 Oct 2007.

1. Renard

Renard Guest

2. alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye nothing in moderation Moderator

i think it's just a case of you either like them or you don't. i do, but there are other cyclists i know who don't; and it does not demarcate the best cyclists from the worst.

3. twentysix by twentyfive

twentysix by twentyfive Clinging on tightly

Depends how you use them.

I can go out for a training ride and keep an eye on the numbers cos I'm trying to achieve speed or something.

Equally I can go out for a ride and not bother about the numbers at all.

I do like to know how many miles at the end of any ride tho'.

4. Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke New Member

mine is faulty again and I miss it.

I usually have it set so I can only see the distance covered and my current speed. I ride loops so I need to know th edistance when to turn back home before I collapse!

5. longers

longers Veteran

I agree with you entirely Ivancarlos. I've still got one on each bike but when they are broke or needing new batteries I have some very enjoyable rides.
    More enjoying the moment than analysing everything to death.
    My main reason for a computer is an interest in distances covered than av speeds though.

6. Joe

Joe Über Member

I'm with twentysix by twentyfive. When I'm just cruising around I can have a really enjoyable ride without looking at it.
    When I'm going for speed though, it can become an epic battle with the numbers. And they always win:angry:

7. Joe24

Joe24 More serious cyclist than Bonj

Mines broke, and i havent got round to replacing it yet, i think i will wait till i get a new bike.
    But i'm not really missing it, i still put it on so i can see the time, but thats about it.
    I do want to see what my average speeds are because i think i have got faster, and how long it has taken me to do the miles i did, but thats about it.

8. Membrane

Membrane New Member

I have 2 computers on the bike, one that also has a heart rate monitor. During a ride I rarely watch its display, I have the HRM set to sound an audible alarm for when I cross into the VO2max zone. I like to alternate shorter rides where I push into VO2Max and longer rides where I want to stay below VO2Max.

I use the other features after the ride to see how I've done, max speed, average speed, average HR, max HR, trip distance etc. I find the trends useful to monitor my fitness level (lack of more likely).

The other computer is set up as a cadence meter, that one I glance at frequently. I use it to determine when to shift gear.

9. twentysix by twentyfive

twentysix by twentyfive Clinging on tightly

I'm collecting tokens fron Corn Flakes packets. Collect 3 and you can get a computer for the price of an envelope and a stamp :biggrin:

Well they'll do on the kids bikes :biggrin::biggrin:

10. KitsuneAndy

KitsuneAndy New Member

I have one, but it's only really any good to keep track of distance as it doesn't have a timer facility or an average speed. Half tempted to upgrade to one that does so that I can see how I'm improving.

11. yenrod

yenrod Guest

Before I got it (comp.) it wasn;t such a deal but endeed up with one...

Now its always on the Average speed + Current spped as i don't like seeing how far I've gone or time I've been out or the actual time itself for some reason :biggrin:

They're mainly an end of ride thing or maybe to check out how fast yuou were going at a specific point, just after, a happening or such like.

I've a HRM - which I only use every so often as the bugger seems to display stupid figures = need new batts. !

12. I know what you mean. I like to keep mine on the 'clock', enjoy the ride and check out the stats later.

13. mondobongo

mondobongo Über Member

Rode for 4 years without one succumbed when I went to the dark side, like to keep an eye on speed whilst out other stats go in training diary after ride. Starting to think about getting a heart rate monitor now.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice