Cycling death

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cupoftea

Cab as I've said, I really don't know how to ride a bike, but have you noticed how many incidents you have?

Take a look back over the last few pages, it could just be me, or maybe you should try reading cyclecraft, and if you’re not a member of the CTC you should join?

I only ride 6000 odd miles through London and I can't remember the last time I had a major issue, I guess I don't cycle enough and it must be that I ride in the quiet London rush hour, I’m glad I don’t cycle in Cambridge it sounds really dangerous.

Anyway I look forward to reading about your next incident, and good luck.

cupoftea said:
Cab as I've said, I really don't know how to ride a bike, but have you noticed how many incidents you have?

Take a look back over the last few pages, it could just be me, or maybe you should try reading cyclecraft, and if you’re not a member of the CTC you should join?

I only ride 6000 odd miles through London and I can't remember the last time I had a major issue, I guess I don't cycle enough and it must be that I ride in the quiet London rush hour, I’m glad I don’t cycle in Cambridge it sounds really dangerous.

Or maybe your like the chap in this video

who was completely oblivious to the danger he was in........... ;);) (Note the double wink indicating I say this in jest!!)

Cab

cupoftea said:

Given the choice between riding in London, Cambridge, Nottingham, Lancaster, Gateshead or Newcastle (the cities I'm most familiar with cycling in), I rate Cambridge as the worst. Comfortably. Give me London over Cambridge any day; the volume of traffic is sufficient to make it a nightmare, and motorists here are comfortably less patient than they are in the capital. But still, the same rules apply; pick an assertive, safe, visible road position as well advised in cyclecraft and accept that occasionally you'll get lip from motorists.

Do otherwise and you're roadkill fodder, whether (like me) you're a member of the CTC or not.

Smarten up, make yourself a safer cyclist by riding that way.

Cab

Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
L200 in London means one of two things - if it is gree it is a tree surgeon, if it is black it is a drug dealer. Would you risk it?

Yes. Thats what stop boxes are for. Odds are that someone crawling in to one that you're occupying isn't the kind of motorist to understand what 'indicators' are, you're better off stopping them than allowing them to come alongside.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
My guess is that Cambridge being an old town was not built to accomodate the scale of modern traffic.

London has only started really getting like this in the last 10 years and is bigger than Cambridge, giving it some room for road changes that Cambridge itself can't accomodate.

T x

Cab

tdr1nka said:
My guess is that Cambridge being an old town was not built to accomodate the scale of modern traffic.

Thats only a small part of the problem. A bigger factor is that it has many, many, many more bikes on the road than in other cities in the UK, and for the most part cyclists here are terrible (gutter crawlers, red light jumpers, no lights, etc.). Motorists here are extremely bad tempered because of it, and they tend to be very careless around cyclists.

But the same rules apply here as everywhere else; your default road position (where you would normally be) should be assertive and visible, anyone who tells you otherwise is simply wrong.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Cab said:
Then when they start sneaking forward move over and block them.
But I was checking the lights and the traffic on and approaching the junction. Moving over would also means moving forward (unless I lift the bike and physically move sideways)

You aren't advocating I should have technically RLJed?

Cab

gambatte said:
But I was checking the lights and the traffic on and approaching the junction. Moving over would also means moving forward (unless I lift the bike and physically move sideways)

You aren't advocating I should have technically RLJed?

No. I usually wait right slap bang in the middle of a stop box. If the motorist behind looks like moving forward I can step the bike backwards or sideways, dead easy.