Cycling dissertation research

Discussion in 'Research and Questionnaires' started by Simon Cox, 31 Oct 2017.

  1. Simon Cox

    Simon Cox New Member

    Hi there,
    I'm a 4th year student and would love it if you could take 2 minutes out of your day to answer some simple questions, the survey link is here:
    https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/STQZ52T
    Thanks in advance
     
  2. ianrauk

    ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah

    Location:
    Atop a Ti
    7. Do you think the current indoor trainers listed above on the market provide a realistic outdoor cycling experience?
    Yes
    No

    How about 'Don't Know' for those that have never used an indoor trainer.
     
  3. DCLane

    DCLane Found in the Yorkshire hills ...

    @Simon Cox - I'm not sure where you're a student at since there is no introduction to the questionnaire (which contravenes research ethics guidelines) but have concerns over a number of the questions, let alone there's no introduction. This is particularly so given the dichotomous questions that link to what I guess is your dissertation topic of indoor trainers.

    There is no way I'd let one of my students offer this to the public. Can I suggest you re-think the questions and responses based upon the feedback here, potentially using this as a draft?
     
    Last edited: 31 Oct 2017
    classic33, smutchin and TinyMyNewt like this.
  4. Wow. It's not a good survey. Cycling as transport is "other", it assumes you are "training" and if you think a high end realistic indoor training experience is worth nothing, because you haven't gone anywhere, that puts you in the "£0-300" category. Which would cover the price of almost everyone who's ever bought an indoor trainer.
     
    raleighnut likes this.
  5. Yellow Saddle

    Yellow Saddle Veteran

    Location:
    Loch side.
    Dear Simon

    You are in a long queue of "students" logging onto this site and asking questions relating to cycling for their supposedly related assignments. 90% of those never even bother to come back after the initial question to see if anyone responded. They're like hunters who set up traps everywhere and only bother to visit one or two. The other 10% that do come back, have questionnaires that are poorly worded, badly thought out and totally irrelevant to us. Most of us don't bother because the initial contact (as is yours above) is totally uninspiring and lackluster. You've asked me to click on a link. Why should I? Is it relevant to me? You're a student, but a student of what? Astrology? Quantum Mechanics?
    Further, any research done from an armchair is no good to man or beast. Nothing beats a good face-to-face with real subjects.
    Surveymonkey is an invalid research tool, as is Facebook or any other armchair instrument.
    Your professor will appreciate more effort and reward you accordingly. Also, you may just meet some people useful to your research or even your career.
    Go, speak to relevant people and learn how to do proper research.
    Yours sincerely
    YS
     
  6. Dirk

    Dirk If 6 Was 9

    Location:
    Devon's Gold Coast
    Sounds more like a retail survey to me, judging by the questions.
     
  7. snorri

    snorri Legendary Member

    Misleading thread title:sad:.
     
  8. Phaeton

    Phaeton Guru

    Location:
    Oop North (ish)
    Burn the witch
     
  9. No. It's a marketing student. Too clueless for a professional.
     
  10. MossCommuter

    MossCommuter Guru

    Location:
    Irlam (Salford)
    The OP talks about being "4th year"

    This could be a school kid, folks
     
  11. DCLane

    DCLane Found in the Yorkshire hills ...

    Not for a dissertation - and 4 years means they've been on a professional placement!
     
    MossCommuter likes this.
  12. Phaeton

    Phaeton Guru

    Location:
    Oop North (ish)
    For me 4th year means he still at juniors & not gone to the comp yet but when I was there there weren't any students
     
    MossCommuter and Drago like this.
  13. Drago

    Drago Guru

    Location:
    Poshamptonshire.
    In my day 4th year means he would be taking his O levels next year.
     
  14. MossCommuter

    MossCommuter Guru

    Location:
    Irlam (Salford)
    I stand corrected but five year olds graduate from nursery nowadays
     
    classic33 likes this.
  15. PhilDawson8270

    PhilDawson8270 Veteran

    Or an integrated masters.
     
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice