Cycling endurance feat in India

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Unbelievable on a knackered old bike with Dad sitting on the luggage rack.

I can see a film coming out of this, it's perfect.

DSK

Amazing in every way! Good for her getting a try out with the Indian team as a result, she deserves it and I hope it improves their family life.

I've been to various parts of India several times and whilst cars (of any type) are for the more wealthy, its motorcycles/scooters and bicycles (generally tired looking things) that people travel about on and use for business. The smaller villages are like night/day compared to the big growing cities. Bikes are used to transport farming things like massive (and I mean massive!) sacks of crops etc. It also quickly became no surprise to see more than 1 person o 1 bicycle. The bikes appear to look more or less like one or two mass produced and supplied types of bikes in India, with something like 2/3 gears at best (if any) and a lock mounted above the rear wheel. These folks, even in their elderly ages can make these things shift! Just goes to reiterate what an important part a bicycle plays to the lives of many around the world, as well as what a capable, durable, versatile and effective 'tool' it can be.

Whilst typing this it made me laugh, in a world of techniques to improve average speed, endurance and power, there are probably stronger riders out there that have been doing natural stuff like cycling heavy loads several times a day, with no gears, day in/day out, for eyebrow raising mileages, in flip flops on the most basic of bicycles to simply earn a living. Imagine giving them a pair of Sidi's, an aero bike, etap/di2, a nutritious meal, no baggage and set the pace for a Sunday blast.

About 3 years ago when I was last out there, I asked a Rickshaw driver to let me have a go, just to see what its like hauling 3 adults (including rider) ...… only to wave the white flag after some 1200 meters gagging for a bottle of water :notworthy:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Cycling in South Asia is definitely confined to the very poor or the few rich madmen who cycle for enjoyment. Some years ago the son of my Pakistan agent who was a student at Bangor rang me to ask my advice on sharing the cost of a £500 BMW 3-series with his three flatmates, so as to get around a bit and drive to college. I told him that they would be buying a money trap as the car was cheap for a reason. I asked if he had had a quote for insurance for four young overseas students and he admitted he and his pals had no idea you had to have insurance. Finally I suggested he would do better to go and buy an old bicycle for getting to college; the shocked reaction was palpable - a hiss of indrawn breath and a gasped "Oh no, no, we couldn't possibly ride a bicycle!" I guess he and his buddies would have been ridiculed by family and friends if they told them they'd made it to the UK and were riding around on bicycles!

Alex H

Legendary Member
Many years ago in China.......

united4ever

Über Member
Cycling in South Asia is definitely confined to the very poor or the few rich madmen who cycle for enjoyment. Some years ago the son of my Pakistan agent who was a student at Bangor rang me to ask my advice on sharing the cost of a £500 BMW 3-series with his three flatmates, so as to get around a bit and drive to college. I told him that they would be buying a money trap as the car was cheap for a reason. I asked if he had had a quote for insurance for four young overseas students and he admitted he and his pals had no idea you had to have insurance. Finally I suggested he would do better to go and buy an old bicycle for getting to college; the shocked reaction was palpable - a hiss of indrawn breath and a gasped "Oh no, no, we couldn't possibly ride a bicycle!" I guess he and his buddies would have been ridiculed by family and friends if they told them they'd made it to the UK and were riding around on bicycles!

I think this attitude prevails in many developing countries - the car is the status symbol and the riding a bike is pitied. China seems to have this too - worrying that the two most populous nations on the planet by some distance have this view. Guess they are following the path that developed countries took in the twentieth century so rather hypocritical to criticise.

An amazing story. The heat where I am is oppressive, I do a ride for an hour early morning and late evening, but the thought of doing that right through the day................and India is even hotter still

Slick

Guru
Good to see her get a bit of recognition in her village from locals and government. She did look a bit bewildered trying out her new fat bike and a poorly fitted helmet. :eek:

Top Bottom