Cycling equivalent of a marathon?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Matt, No they wouldn`t.

I am pretty sure a most successful marathon runners would manage a 100 mile cycle ride, as they are aerobically fit enough and have the mental stamina to do it. They probably wouldn`t ride as fast as a club rider and would certainly be uncomfortable.

Running a marathon is a whole different experience on the body, especially the legs. Even running a marathon slowly is tough.

I have ran marathons and ridden long distances. Give me a bike, anyday.

You cannot compare the two events and I don`t think that this is a serious post trying to do that. It is more of a what if!!

Steve

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Thing is, if you made a marathon runner try to do a century on a bike, wouldnt they find it as hard to do as we would do a marathon?

No, nothing like as tough ! I've done over a dozen marathons, but just one 100 miler - the Cheshire Cat. The CC was hard, 'cos the second half was quite hilly. The next day, I didn't know I'd done it. I did the CC, entirely on a background of running. I think that a flat 100 mile, would possibly equate to a very hard run 10 mile race.

Matt, No they wouldn`t.
I am pretty sure a most successful marathon runners would manage a 100 mile cycle ride, as they are aerobically fit enough and have the mental stamina to do it.

An experienced runner would certainly have both the mental stamina and aerobic ability to do a flat 100 quite comfortably.

Cycling equivalent of a marathon?

Get off your bike and run just over 26 miles.

I think that would be roughly the same.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
There is a world of difference between riding a 100 miles and racing a 100 miles.

Of course there is; but as has already been mentioned . . . . . . .

Running a marathon is a whole different experience on the body, especially the legs. Even running a marathon slowly is tough.

Steve

A friend of mine was/is a top-level cyclist - being the first person ever to win the National 25 & 50 TT Champs in the same year; many years ago, on a 531 framed bike, with no aerodynamc aids, he did 479.5 miles in 24 hours. He has never taken it easy on a bike !

He states that nothing (in his considerable experience) compares with the pain of the marathon. Admittedly, he only started running in his 40s, but in his 60s, he was still doing under 2:55 for a marathon, which in that age group, is a very high standard.

During my many years in the running community, I've known quite a few runners who have come into the sport - having previously been involved cycling at a competitive level. I've also known a few runners who have gone into cycling.

Interestingly though, of the two groups, the cyclists who have gone into running have always been more (relatively) successful.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
I have done 4 marathons and it is very hard to tell you how far to ride to make it the equivalent of a marathon. You have to decide yourself but this is how you judge it.

You ride and ride and ride. Then you ride some more until you get to a stage where all your energy reserves are totally gone. You get to the stage where you think all the muscle in your legs has evaporated and you only have leg bones to balance on. Then you ride some more where every stroke is agony and if you get off the bike you fall over.

I think it will be a long, long cycle ride :smile:

Better still go and do a marathon first and then you will know how it is supposed to feel. :thumbsup:

Steve

Very well described :thumbsup: ; only those who have done a marathon can understand what it is like.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
There is a world of difference between riding a 100 miles and racing a 100 miles.
There is, but pro riders can race over 100 miles a day in a three week Grand Tour which includes stages going over mountains and most of the 200 strong field will finish the race. Ask the 200 best long distance runners in the world to do a marathon a day for three weeks and see how long even the strongest would last.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
You are right Joe. How those pros can do that is astounding. There are some total headcases who go out and run multiple marathons day after day as well and that beggers belief.

It is 2 totally different disciplines and even though leg muscles are being used in different ways. The runners legs and joints take a real beating and that is a big factor.

Plus the fact that there is no drafting in a marathon :rolleyes: Now that really does make a difference.

Steve

TheSandwichMonster

Junior Senior
I was chatting with some audaxer-types the other day and the general consensus was that a 300km ride was roughly equivalent to a marathon. Having done neither, I don't know if this is true...

Top Bottom