Cycling equivelant to marathon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PorkyPies

I give up with the yoof of today and their education :wacko:

Your powers are getting weaker every year old man. Us youngun's who have finished uni are the future, and the future is bright. You old guys ruined this county, now leave it to us to repair it.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I give up with the yoof of today and their education :wacko:

Well your performance on this thread doesnt say much for your old school education, or your common sense and life experience for that matter.

BTW, you might want to consider some of the contributers accomplishments and/or expertise here before you insult their education.

You also seem to have missed something regarding the age of the typical demographic who post here on this forum.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
The one thing that is being over looked here is that people who do well at running marathons are runners and people who do well at long distance cycling are cyclists. Is the 100mtr sprint at world record pace harder than a world record marathon time? Is it harder to fight at flyweight or heavyweight? People condition their bodies for given disciplines. If we are to get an good comparison we need to ask a tri-athlete which is harder.

Bman

Guru
Thats longer than most tour stages

a 100 miler would take a decent cyclist 4 hrs a av cyclist 5 hrs

how long to run a marathon ? 3 or 4hrs

Not many 250 mile events in this country

now over in france they have 24hr cycle races on tracks like Le mans that would be cool :thumbsup:

I would love to take my road bike to Donnington Park. :becool: :biggrin:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
The one thing that is being over looked here is that people who do well at running marathons are runners and people who do well at long distance cycling are cyclists. Is the 100mtr sprint at world record pace harder than a world record marathon time? Is it harder to fight at flyweight or heavyweight? People condition their bodies for given disciplines. If we are to get an good comparison we need to ask a tri-athlete which is harder.

I run and cycle in equal parts (as you know) as seperate entities, I'm not at a high level in either sport, but in my experience running is more tiring and most certainly harder on the body, in terms of psychological difficulty, well they both have different challenges for me. I would say that running a half marathon at an aerobic effort is more tiring than 75 miles on the bike in an equivalent HR zone. I havent ran a marathon (yet) so couldnt comment that far. Ask me again at the end of April.

You also have experience of both sports Angelsolofish, so I'm a bit surprised you dont have much of an opinion.

Maybe JayClock will offer his input, being an Ironman distance triathlete or Fimm as a triathlete.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I run and cycle in equal parts (as you know), I'm not at a high level in either sport, but in my experience running is more tiring and most certainly harder on the body, in terms of psychological difficulty, well they both have different challenges for me. I would say that running a half marathon at an aerobic effort is more tiring than 75 miles on the bike in an equivalent HR zone. I havent ran a marathon so couldnt comment that far.

Maybe JayClock will offer his input, being an Ironman distance triathlete.

Yes but how long have you been running for and how long have you been cycling?

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Several years.

It could be you are better suited to cycling than running then.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
It could be you are better suited to cycling than running then.

Read my edit, sorry was too slow.

However I am not arguing the absolute difficulty of either sport, I only mention it because you comment. My main arguement was that the comparison oldfatbloke was presenting was majorly flawed.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Read my edit, sorry was too slow.

However I am not arguing the absolute difficulty of either sport, I only mention it because you comment. My main arguement was that the comparison oldfatbloke was presenting was majorly flawed.

Ok interesting.

When I used to run I found the effort required to get around a half marathon course about the same as I now require to do a 60 miler. I am older and heavier than I was back then as well. I base this on reading my training / racing diaries and recorded recovery times.

Top Bottom