Cycling Etiquette, Cycling shorts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You have to wash them ? :welcome:

Simon

kewb

you can wear cycling underwear which adds extra padding
if im going 50+ miles i wear both no problem .

Always nothing (I hate the term commando) what is the point - the only point of wearing underwear is not to soil the top clothes - or a little bit of modesty if you are in the habit of wearing short skirts or see through

Quote:
Originally Posted by djondjayvadas
Tried commando once, felt a bit dirty and deviant. :biggrin:

I cannot imagine what you must wear under your swimming trunks if it feels deviant in cycle shorts.

I have observed recently (do not ask) the tendency for men to wear underpants under their swimming trunks and often shorts over the lot -taking modesty to extremes!

Muddyfox's avatar...

image.php

Now d'you think she's wearing underpants under her shorts ?

What would she look like !?!

Cycling shorts have a chamois pad inside. They're designed to be worn without underwear, to not bunch up, rub or chafe whilst riding a bike.
Underpants, whether they be cheap nylon Y-fronts or expensive YSL briefs, are not; they're designed to be worn underneath your trousers whilst walking or sitting at a desk.

It's fine to wear underwear under baggy MTB shorts - but that underwear is cycling shorts, not Y-fronts...

Globalti

Legendary Member
Since the OP is just starting out, take heed of the advice to keep the undercarriage clean - a good lather and soap in that daily shower to keep the spots and boils away.

gbb

Legendary Member
Jeez...i've never suffered chaffing, boils, sores or pestilence whatever i wear !!

Up until last year i didnt even own a pair of padded shorts, just leggings or unpadded shorts for me, underpants always worn as well. Rides of anything up to 80 miles, underpants have never given me a problem.

Maybe i'm lucky ?

madguern

always been told to go commando due to the chamois pad !

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
gbb said:
Jeez...i've never suffered chaffing, boils, sores or pestilence whatever i wear !!

Up until last year i didnt even own a pair of padded shorts, just leggings or unpadded shorts for me, underpants always worn as well. Rides of anything up to 80 miles, underpants have never given me a problem.

Maybe i'm lucky ?

I could do a size of package joke but i resist the tempation....:becool:

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I wear nothing underneath but wash the area religiously and apply petroleum jelly for longer rides.

But I wear a pair of baggy shorts over the cycling shorts. Helps keep the jewels out of public view.

djondjayvadas

I have my under carriage first cleansed with bamboo leaves, then talced and finally lubricated on commute days.

All by Brazilian woodsmen.

Top Bottom