Cycling for mental health advocacy groups..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I've made no secret of my sincere conviction that, were it not for the mental health benefits of cycling I'd probably not be here today (whether that's a good or bad thing remains somewhat subjective!).

I really can't overstate the worth of the humble bicycle to me personally; in terms of maintaining both my mental and physical health and tbh bringing me back from be brink on many occasions. If I had to define a single factor that's has the most positive influence on my mental health it'd be cycling; without a doubt.

Recently this has got me wondering whether there's an untapped "market" for people who might benefit in this regard from a regular, easy-going, unpretentious and inclusive meet-up to allow a bit of human contact and some safety-in-numbers rides to liberate those endorphines and drive off the black dog.

I was thinking along the lines of advertising locally for a RWYB ("run what you brung", if you're not familiar) for those with bikes, along perhaps with the provision of some lent, cheap bikes for those who don't have a ride.

If I ever get back to Oxford I'm seriously considering trying to set up a regular ride with this in mind (maybe a FB group..?) for those who just want to get out on a group mosey every-so-often to keep themselves level; and it seems like this concept could serve the greater goodregardless of location.

I've always felt the drive to try and give something back but have always struggled; perhaps this is my opportunity.

What do we reckon - worth a punt?

Last edited:

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Definitely worth a punt in my humble opinion.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
Sounds like a good idea. What have you got to lose?

Returning to cycling was one of my routes away from depression too. I expect it’s more common than we imagine. Of course, folk would need to be in the right frame of mind already, but I think your idea may have more appeal than a “proper” cycling club for many.

Drago

Legendary Member
I think its a great idea Wafter. These days im pretty sorted upstairs,but theres little doubt that cycling is still a pleasurable release (paging @Fnaar !) and very good for the soul.

The only thing I would advise is to bear in mind that as an 'organiser' you may bear some liability if anything goes wrong, so you might wish to either consider some insurance or else be circumspect about how you bring this about.

Best of luck.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I've made no secret of my sincere conviction that, were it not for the mental health benefits of cycling I'd probably not be here today (whether that's a good or bad thing remains somewhat subjective!).

I really can't overstate the worth of the humble bicycle to me personally; in terms of maintaining both my mental and physical health and tbh bringing me back from be brink on many occasions. If I had to define a single factor that's has the most positive influence on my mental health it'd be cycling; without a doubt.

Recently this has got me wondering whether there's an untapped "market" for people who might benefit in this regard from a regular, easy-going, unpretentious and inclusive meet-up to allow a bit of human contact and some safety-in-numbers rides to liberate those endorphines and drive off the black dog.

I was thinking along the lines of advertising locally for a RWYB ("run what you brung", if you're not familiar) for those with bikes, along perhaps with the provision of some lent, cheap bikes for those who don't have a ride.

If I ever get back to Oxford I'm seriously considering trying to set up a regular ride with this in mind (maybe a FB group..?) for those who just want to get out on a group mosey every-so-often to keep themselves level; and it seems like this concept could serve the greater goodregardless of location.

I've always felt the drive to try and give something back but have always struggled; perhaps this is my opportunity.

What do we reckon - worth a punt?
A wonderful idea @wafter ,top marks for the thought and your intentions. And yes, for me too, cycling and other forms of exercise have helped me deal with and get through some very dark times.

I'll add my encouragement for the idea. Well done.

I'd also encourage you to consider @Drago 's comment on possible liability. I believe there was a thread relatively recently about someone organising rides through Facebook. A search might throw up some thoughts.

@newfhouse is probably close to the truth too with the observation that those most likely to benefit are not in the state of mind to participate.

I don't know how to proceed from the idea but here's a few thoughts off the top of my head.....

Is there anything like this out there anywhere? Hiking, walking, knitting, anything? Try to find similar and see how they did it. I know that "Men's Sheds" have become very popular in Ireland, as an example. Not the same but similar.

Do you know anyone in the Mental Health field? If so, a chat may be beneficial. If not a local GP (if not totally overworked) may have some pointers.

If you have some likely participants why not give it a try even if only with one or two. Try and spread the word stopping for a coffee and maybe have some flyers/cards ready to hand out to anyone who may be interested.

A bike shop may be willing to help out in terms of old bikes or sponsorship if sold on the idea of getting some new customers.

If leading a group of "non-cyclists" on a ride I'd discourage all mentions of speed, distance etc. and concentrate on the experience - the sights, sounds smells.

Personally, I'd hold off on advertising at the moment until I'd thought the whole thing through and had as much input as possible. Not only on the organisation but also your own commitments.
But that may just be me.

January might be a good time to start (despite the weather) when people are fresh with new year resolutions.

To come from a different perspective....
I also wonder what kind of difficulties you may have.
Time, day, frequency and distance will all be hurdles.
Different skill levels, types of bikes, ability to ride safely on the road could lead to frustration.
Are you thinking of leading all the rides? That could be time consuming. And stressful if people show up on unroadworthy bikes, crash into each other or start flipping off motorists.

Sorry, I don't mean to be negative. I think it's a great idea.

As I write an idea is forming less of a ride leader, more of a ride facilitator.
People sign up and are allocated a buddy who has similar free time, skills etc.
The ride facilitator suggests routes, possibly notes, coffee stops etc. Perhaps keeps track of people's progress. Perhaps also rides with complete newbies to build their confidence.
The buddy system encourages participation.
A simple group is two, more sociable people can be in bigger groups as they like.
But the ultimate goal is to give people a reason to go out. A buddy waiting for them might be enough.

Sorry for rambling.

Throwing my leg over a bike is one of the best things I've done as an adult. I'd recommend it to anyone.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Lots of very good points in this thread especially I feel from @HobbesOnTour I'd like to pick up on just one of his re ride "leaders." In my cycle club we have made a determined effort to move away from leaders to "facilitators," we chose the word as well. The idea is to find people who will make things happen but not for those individuals to be essential to the ride taking place.

I have three cycling friends with mental health issues. The value to them is very significant. In trying to help them I have found getting someone to commit to a day and time is very important. If a commitment to ride is made they always turn up. If it's a vague "perhaps see you Tuesday" often the ride doesn't happen. It might be good if your planning is one ride ahead so that at the end of each ride you can give the details and ask everyone to confirm there and then they will attend. Having said "Yes" not turning out is more difficult.

If you are setting up a club for inclusive cycling you will find the membership of regular riders grow as your reputation spreads. In the first instance get yourself trained as a cycle leader - British cycling offer a course - then identify a safe and interesting cycling route that offers distances for those who cannot go very far and longer distances for those that can. Over the past few years I have been volunteering at a centre which enables adults and children with physical and mental health difficulties to ride bicycles. It is wonderful to see the endorphin effect on people returning from their rides smiling. If you have firm plans to develop your club and want any detailed advice, do get in touch.

Drago

Legendary Member
British Cycling ride leader training...

With 2 small kids and a big mortgage plus a job that I hated.

Some mornings I'd be close to tears as I got out for my weekend rides - it really helped. Those anymous folk who would pull up and just chat to me for a few minutes will never know the boost they give me.

I sometimes think it's like mediation - coming down a hill at over 40mph - you empty your brain of everything but keeping that skinny but of rubber going the right way !

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
There are a good number of excellent pubs with garden space for bike parking in Oxford. Informal meet ups would be my suggestion as the whole point of the exercise I assume is to be relaxed and easy going.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Thanks all for the encouragement, suggestions and other constructive input :smile:

In addition, being pretty much right at the bottom of a seemingly unsurmountably deep hole currently myself, it's great to have my own convictions about the restorative benefits of cycling reinforced by the experiences of others; as I've not been out for a proper ride for well over a month :sad:

As usual for the reasons many have already raised, in the cold, sober light of day this ostensibly simple idea becomes a lot more complex and difficult to achieve in practice.

I think the best course of action would be to treat it as some sort of expectation-free, all-inclusive "informal meet up" in an effort to avoid all of the potential issues attached to selling it as a "club" activity. I also think careful consideration would be required as to how it was sold; to tread a fine line between overplaying the mental health aspect and not making it clear enough.

One of my biggest concerns would be routes and rider confidence. In Oxford this wouldn't be so bad as short rides could be kept inside the confines of the city; with its slow traffic, generally well-sighted roads and of course tow paths and other easy-going off-road routes. Considering the target demographic would be those who've never cycled "seriously" or as part of a group before, I think many would be rightly put off by the thought of riding on the roads around here.

Ideally routes totally away from traffic would be ideal; however this of course then brings into question peoples' confidence off road and the suitability of their kit to handle it.

Putting on my rational hat it's clearly something I'm not going to be able to achieve in the near future; however remains something I'd very much like to investigate further if I ever make it back to Oxford. I've also seriously considered joining a club round there too; however they all seem pretty road-centric and at least two of the three I've seen being more speed-oriented than I'd like. That aside, maybe that would be another way to attack the situation; as a sub-division of an existing club, once I'd got my feet under the table..

Top Bottom