Cycling for mental health advocacy groups..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The planning and time, reserves of energy and motivation to put your ambition into action is going to need the support of others. So don't take sole ownership, take the lead instead. Ask for people to register their interest in helping you and let a working party breath life into it. That will reduce a significant amount pressure and expectations on you and will deliver results that meet the needs of others as well. Most importantly keep hold of positive thoughts and simply reach out to others - you'll be pushing open doors !

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@wafter I've some experience as a current club sec and someone who has tried to help friends in dark places.

If you were to join my club and suggest a new ride you would be encouraged and supported to do it. I would expect any good club you find to be the same. For most clubs finding people prepared to do something and help out is a major challenge. Do consider it.

If you choose to organise your own informal group I would advise against Ride Leader courses/qualifications. It's a minefield and uneccessary. I suggest all you need do is make clear self-sufficiency is important - tube, patches, pump - and a helmet strongly advised. Beyond that it's simply meet at 9.00 Saturday for a couple of hours ride and chat.

As for selling the idea and getting the message across something on the lines of "life can be very difficult for some, a chance to clear the mind, chat with others, forget daily challenges and enjoy the fresh air" might be a starting point.

As I said I have supported people in the past. It was one of the most emotionally difficult and draining things I have ever done. Be sure to care for yourself first. It is hugely rewarding though to see friends come out the other side with new lives. For my trouble I gained one very close and dear friend who will be with me for life. A thing to cherish.

Last edited:
@wafter I've some experience as a current club sec and someone who has tried to help friends in dark places.

If you were to join my club and suggest a new ride you would be encouraged and supported to do it. I would expect any good club you find to be the same. For most clubs finding people prepared to do something and help out is a major challenge. Do consider it.

If you choose to organise your own informal group I would advise against Ride Leader courses/qualifications. It's a minefield and uneccessary. I suggest all you need do is make clear self-sufficiency is important - tube, patches, pump - and a helmet strongly advised. Beyond that it's simply meet at 9.00 Saturday for a couple of hours ride and chat.

As for selling the idea and getting the message across something on the lines of "life can be very difficult for some, a chance to clear the mind, chat with others, forget daily challenges and enjoy the fresh air" might be a starting point.

As I said I have supported people in the past. It was one of the emotionally difficult and draining things I have ever done. Be sure to care for yourself first. It is hugely rewarding though to see friends come out the other side with new lives. For my trouble I gained one very close and dear friend who will be with me for life. A thing to cherish.
Yes, I do agree that cycling leadership course can be a minefield yet it is one that plots a course to safeguard other in two specific ways. For me, the advantage of receiving training as a cycling leader through British Cycling, is that they provide insurance indemnity cover for the leadership of rides. In addition, the courses raises awareness of techniques to protect groups of cyclists from danger. For those reasons I wouldn't advise people not to be trained as a competent person to lead a ride.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Yes, I do agree that cycling leadership course can be a minefield yet it is one that plots a course to safeguard other in two specific ways. For me, the advantage of receiving training as a cycling leader through British Cycling, is that they provide insurance indemnity cover for the leadership of rides. In addition, the courses raises awareness of techniques to protect groups of cyclists from danger. For those reasons I wouldn't advise people not to be trained as a competent person to lead a ride.
Yes, I agree you are correct there are some real benefits. My mine reason for suggesting it might be better avoided is once an individual is trained failing to implement all aspects of that training can become an issue. Risk Assessments and the need to recce rides in advance in particular.

Drago

Legendary Member
The problem is, as an ex (as of this year) pro instructor, ride leader, MTB leader, all the rest of it, im quite disparaging of BC but if im honest you wont find any better without paying out a shed load of money.

I was lucky in having an employer and then a charitable benefactor paying for my first tranche of training, and unless you have a very favourable fairy godmother BC might realistically be about it.

Brooks

A friend and I started leading easy paced rides in the early part of this year. 10 to 15 mile rides in quiet streets and some longer rides once a month. It started slow but we now attract some respectable numbers to the rides.
We recce every route and carry our risk assessments of every ride. We have seen massive improvement in cycling confidence in many of our group, there's lots of people out there looking for a group that they can join just for a social ride.
Don't give up, get a good few rides memorised locally and start it up, I wish you all the best! 😀🚴

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
@Brooks - thanks and hats off to you for your efforts - that sounds like sterling work :becool:

Thanks guys - tbh as much as this idea appeals I'm well aware that I'm probably very poorly placed to execute it to any manageable standard currently; for many of the reasons given (especially when viewed within the context of my own shortcomings).

I definitely think I need to get myself on an even keel before I seek to undertake any more responsibility; since one of my many issues is a total lack of productivity and I can't handle what I have on my plate currently, let alone any more.

In any case I think such an idea would only be viable in Oxford (rather than in the grotty little village in which I currently reside) and if I ever manage to return that in itself should boost my mental health. In addition I do have a friend who works in occupational health and along with her partner is a keen cyclist (with whom I've discussed the restorative facets of exercise) - I could potentially ask her if this is something she'd be willing to explore with her patients or outside of work... although again I'd want to be in a position to be able to hold up my end rather than drawing her in and leaving her high and dry.

Time will tell... I've relied on others throughout my life and would welcome the purpose and direction afforded by giving something back; however currently this seems well out of reach. I'll definitely keep it in mind as something I'd like to do in more balanced times though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom