Cycling friendly accommodation near Modane?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I'm trying to find cycling friendly accommodation somewhere near Modane, in the Vallée de la Maurienne. It should
  1. have a secure undercover bicycle storage area
  2. have a bicycle floor pump available
  3. provide breakfast (dinner would be nice also, but I can go to restaurants for those if needed)
  4. be anywhere from about Forneaux to Avrieux (and possibly Aussois)
Regards & thanks,

--- Victor.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
i would try airbnb and look for a place with a bike shop nearby. The bike shop will have a track pump. Hotel. com is another. All hotels I have visited provide what you need. Except for the track pump.

Brains

Legendary Member
Saint-jean-de-maurienne
is probably the place to head for
The bike shop is here
https://www.dvelos.com/
Which is right outside the campsite 'Camping des Grand Cols'
http://campingdesgrandscols.com/en/
Campsite and bike shop are run by the same family,
There is a lot of very expensive carbon in the shop!

The "kilometre zero" sign with the cycling distances to all the cols is in the campsite, which as you would expect is cycling friendly.
If you don't fancy camping I think they have chalets.
And if you want to go up market there are a load of hotels in town

Saint jean is a nicer place than Modaine

OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Saint-jean-de-maurienne
is probably the place to head for
The bike shop is here
https://www.dvelos.com/
Which is right outside the campsite 'Camping des Grand Cols'
http://campingdesgrandscols.com/en/
Campsite and bike shop are run by the same family,
There is a lot of very expensive carbon in the shop!

The "kilometre zero" sign with the cycling distances to all the cols is in the campsite, which as you would expect is cycling friendly.
If you don't fancy camping I think they have chalets.
And if you want to go up market there are a load of hotels in town

Saint jean is a nicer place than Modaine
Yes, I know, I hired a bike from D'Vélos when I was there last month (staying at Chalet La Tuvière), and Franck (and one of his staff, Thibault) were both great to do business with. I even got a brand new, never ridden bike for my hire, at a nice price! :smile:

The reason I'm looking at Modane is because there are a lot of climbs in the upper part of La Vallée de la Maurienne which are just too far to reach by cycling (and I have no driver's license). When I managed to cycle up to the Col de l'Iseran just before coming back to Australia, I had to get the B&B operators to drive me to Termignon, then pick me up later on at Saint-Michel-de-Maurienne, and I still rode 120km. Starting from Modane makes the upper part of the valley far more accessible, so I'm considering it for my next trip.

Last edited:

Brains

Legendary Member
Let the train take the strain!
There is also a bus
I have used both to get between St Jean and Modaine.
They are only 20km apart and downhill all the way! (One way ....)

OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
@Brains : forgot to mention: D'Vélos has moved. I don't know exactly where it used to be, i.e. near the camping ground, but it's now at Place Fodéré, in the central part of the town.

OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Now I'm considering Saint-Michel-de-Maurienne, mainly because it has a bicycle shop, Vélo Minute, which provides location de vélos (bike rentals). What's frustrating me is that it's nearly impossible to find any cycling-friendly accommodation there! :banghead:
It's near the middle of one of the best valleys for Alpine cycling in the world, so why is it so hard to find cycling-friendly accommodation there!?

Yes, I know some of you have mentioned Saint-Jean-de-Maurienne, but I really need something further up the valley, otherwise rides up to the top of the valley, i.e. Col de l'Iseran or Col du Mont Cenis, become very difficult due to the distance.

Last edited:

Brains

Legendary Member
D'Velos have/had a 9 seat/9 bike minibus which seemed to take groups to the start of the various routes.
The owner spoke good English, so worth a call to see if its a formal thing or ad hoc.

OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Anyone else? I'm still looking for cycling-friendly accommodation near Modane.

Top Bottom