Cycling friendly holiday home (Majorca)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brian Robertson

I have a problem that I need some advice on. I'm hoping that people here might be able to shed some light on the issue.

My girlfriend's elderly mother lives in Majorca. The area in which she lives offers fabulous cycling for every taste and ability, from long straight roads with few hills, to the climb up to the monastery on Randa. As many of you will know, Majorca is VERY popular with cyclists.

Unfortunately, the gf's mother is having health problems and we are keenly aware - as is she - that she can't go on living on her own in the flat forever. The time will come when she has to go into a care home or passes away. In the case of a care home, unless something else can be sorted, the flat would have to be sold to cover care home costs. In the event of her death, we would be left with the nightmare of going over there, clearing the flat and deciding what to do with it next. It almost goes without saying that we would prefer to keep hold of it. We aren't getting any younger ourselves and spending my retirement cycling the lanes of Majorca and drinking ice cold beer in one of their bars would suit me just fine!

Anyway, as one way of keeping hold of the flat, we have considered renting it out when the the time comes. (I'm not being in any way ghoulish talking this way. It's been fully discussed with the gf and her mother) and it seems logical to target the cycling community. So where would I start in marketing such a property to cyclists? Any suggestions? What magazines carry such adverts? Would we be better targeting the German market? (With a bed settee it would sleep 8 with ease, plus it has a secure storage unit on the roof that would be large enough to store and maintain bikes and an underground car park space.)

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hi Brian.

One obvious thing you can do is to create a website for the property and link to it in your forum 'signature'. For example, @MontyVeda has done this for his sister's properties - link. I don't know how much traffic CycleChat sends her way? Maybe MV could tell you ...

For that to be an effective strategy, you would have to be a regular poster on the forum so your signature links get to be seen by lots of fellow members. Join other UK cycling forums and do the same on those.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
... I don't know how much traffic CycleChat sends her way? Maybe MV could tell you ...

not much traffic really :sad: but it's link... 2/3rds of my sister's custom comes from Hoseason's, the rest via the two websites which i'd built and supposedly SEOd... but can't find them ranking for owt... but they get a couple of enquiries a month via the websites.

best bet is forget about marketing it to cyclists specifically... just market it to people who want to rent an apartment in majorca and you'll still struggle to get the traffic and the bookings.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
not much traffic really :sad: but it's link... 2/3rds of my sister's custom comes from Hoseason's, the rest via the two websites which i'd built and supposedly SEOd... but can't find them ranking for owt... They get a couple of enquiries a month via the websites.
Oh, that's disappointing ... Come on folks, what's up with ya - the FoB and Dales are fabulous areas for cycling - get yourselves booked in! :thumbsup:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
it's got a hot tub too... a hot tub with a view... a view not only of the jewel in the Yorkshire Dales' crown, Ingleborough, but also of the Howgill fells and the Cumbrian Mountains... all from the hot tub... imagine that after a long ride... a cold beer, in a hot tub, with a view, after a ride....:shy:

Top Bottom