Cycling gear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paulw1969

Ridley rider
Padded shorts/longs would be top of the list in my book.........the rest is up to you depending on length of outings.......weather lots of things really.....I like lycra (that sounds creepy reading it back^_^ ).......but thats a personal choice and definatley not compulsory.

snorri

Legendary Member
Depends on what sort of cycling you intend to do, utility, sport, recreational /leisure?
Regarding tyres, again it depends on what you are using the bike for. :smile:

Eribiste

Careful with that axle Eugene
Don't worry about asking questions, how else are you (and the rest of us) going to find out about stuff?

Clothing wise, Definitely good padded trouser wear. I've also been impressed by tops that are made of "technical cloth". The sales yatter sounded like, well, sales yatter, but actually, I have to say that it works like it says. Look after your hands with padded mitts, and keep the bugs out your eyes and keep the style with some sharp looking glasses. Make sure you're visible, so even BMW drivers can see you!:whistle:

Tyres? Right sort for the riding you do. You could do a lot worse than consult your (good) local bike shop.

OP
OP
jlamontagne

jlamontagne

Regular
I'm going to be doing short commutes and about 20 mile rides a few times a week, I guess I just need a good all around tyre for now

Eribiste

Careful with that axle Eugene
I had very good p******e resistant service from Schwalbe Marathons on my Pashley. They're also long lasting and seemed to grip well in the wet.

snorri

Legendary Member
I'm going to be doing short commutes and about 20 mile rides a few times a week
In that case you should not need padded shorts, ordinary clothing will do fine and save you having to change before and after every trip. A windproof jacket will keep you warm if you wear a few layers underneath, even better if waterproof.

paulw1969

Ridley rider
Noted. Also, I'm looking for some new tyres and wondering what would be best to invest in?

argh, I need to stop asking so many questions :laugh:

As has been said....the forum is for questions so dont worry about asking away.............i found this forum very helpful when i first arrived :thumbsup:

i would say in regards to clothing in general to layer up with your clothing which will allow you to adjust to our changeable weather. Aldi and Decathlon do some good reasonable gear (just choose wisely).......all of mine is from either of these outlets....sometime Decathlon have sales on which makes it even better value. Cannot help with tyres as i use the generic ones which came with the wheels i have and will continue to do so until they need replacing.

paulw1969

Ridley rider
In that case you should not need padded shorts, ordinary clothing will do fine and save you having to change before and after every trip. A windproof jacket will keep you warm if you wear a few layers underneath, even better if waterproof.

Agreed Snorri.
I would not be without padded shorts myself....... Part of the reasson i recommended them for the OP was that he is coming from hybrid/mtb to a road bike so i presumed he would be on a "race" saddle....i was glad of the padded shorts when i first started out on a race saddle......mind you i am a heavyweight:biggrin:

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
I had very good p******e resistant service from Schwalbe Marathons on my Pashley. They're also long lasting and seemed to grip well in the wet.
I've used them too, and they are extremely puncture-resistant. On the downside they are heavy, and I've recently changed my commuting and winter bike to Bontrager Racelite Hardshell. Cheaper, lighter and pretty good puncture-resistance. I wouldn't use Continental GPS4000s for an all-round tyre - a great tyre for when the roads are cleaner and dryer, but work out quite expensive for general use: at say, £70 for a pair, you will get about 3000 miles out of them, so something over 2p a mile just for the tyres. I keep them for my posh summer bike.

Re clothes - decent padded lycra bibshorts and jersey, with warm baselayer, arm and leg warmers, full-finger gloves, overshoes. Should get you out in most weathers, without spending silly money. I wouldn't bother with bibtights or long-sleeve jersey to start, as it only really duplicates the effect of shorts+leg-warmers and short-sleeve jersey+arm-warmers.

Top Bottom