Cycling good for health

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
It's Leeds City Council's initial ideas on a mass transit system, which would looks to be going straight along the Spen Valley Greenway: https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/west-yorkshire-news/new-rapid-public-transport-system-15394391

Greenway is the most efficient mass transit system if they encourage drivers out of cars and onto bikes.

classic33

Leg End Member
It's Leeds City Council's initial ideas on a mass transit system, which would looks to be going straight along the Spen Valley Greenway: https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/west-yorkshire-news/new-rapid-public-transport-system-15394391
Plan from the early 70's rehashed and presented as new. The current Leeds bus station was planned at the same time, along with a route from the old bus station/second bus station. You can still see where they widened one of the streets, then blocked access with gates, then bollards, which was supposed to be the tram route out of the city in the late 80's

lane

Veteran
I suppose overall if spending more time in a particular area because stop start they may do. However I think the plan is to share out the traffic a bit more and reduce polution in specific roads that breached the limit rather than reduce pollution overall. I think the roads being modified are not the ones breaching the limit and plan maybe to encourage more thraffic to use them because they have more headroom to the polution limit. As part of this process some cycling infrastructure is being removed.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
The bridge over the A58 requires replacing anyway.

The one near Chain Bar? They'll probably decide to remove the bridge, put steps in down to the road and then install a staggered pelican crossing with more steps back up the other side. And lots of "Cyclist Dismount Signs.

How many millions were spent building Low Moor station just up the way, then they only have one train an hour in either direction stop there for most of the day.
It's ironic that you can get several direct trains a day to London from Low Moor, but struggle to get one to Sowerby Bridge...

They'd be better off re-opening the Leeds New Line.

Plan from the early 70's rehashed and presented as new. The current Leeds bus station was planned at the same time, along with a route from the old bus station/second bus station. You can still see where they widened one of the streets, then blocked access with gates, then bollards, which was supposed to be the tram route out of the city in the late 80's

We've had more ridiculous half baked mass transit ideas around here than anyone knows what to do with and still the council plot.

classic33

Leg End Member
The one near Chain Bar? They'll probably decide to remove the bridge, put steps in down to the road and then install a staggered pelican crossing with more steps back up the other side. And lots of "Cyclist Dismount Signs.

How many millions were spent building Low Moor station just up the way, then they only have one train an hour in either direction stop there for most of the day.
It's ironic that you can get several direct trains a day to London from Low Moor, but struggle to get one to Sowerby Bridge...

They'd be better off re-opening the Leeds New Line.

We've had more ridiculous half baked mass transit ideas around here than anyone knows what to do with and still the council plot.
They have looked at removing the bridge, cost was too high. Also Birkenshaw is just up the road, now housing the fire service and ambulance control centres. Response times would be increased if the shut the road to remove it.

York Road was supposed to have had a cycle lane either side, on the origional plans, again from the 70's.

I'm waiting on the stations at Hipperholme and Elland being re-opened.

OP
OP
mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I think the roads being modified are not the ones breaching the limit and plan maybe to encourage more thraffic to use them because they have more headroom to the polution limit. As part of this process some cycling infrastructure is being removed.
Well that's probably stupid because pollution is measured along the sides (because that's where people walk and where buildings are) and cycling infrastructure is usually at the side, so removing it and allowing cars into that space moves more exhaust pipes closer to the measuring points!

Do cars generate more pollution when stationary compared to say moving at 40mph?
Yes and no.

Pollution is a nebulous term.

A moving car disperses particulate matter more widely than a stationary one and consumes more energy in the act of moving, so generates more CO2. A idle engine, or slow moving vehicle which is usually a result of congestion and greater concentration of vehicles will still emit CO2 and particulates, but the particulates will be concentrated within the locality, CO2 diffuses more readily, and doesn't cause respiratory problems. Hence the concern with particulates from inner city congestion causing a suite of diseases and adverse developmental impacts on kids. Rural locations have less congestion so particulates are dispersed more easily. Particulates can be 'washed' out of the atmosphere by weather, but CO2 is another matter. It is a greenhouse gas that forms a blanket around the planet which traps the sun's radiation, heating the sea, land and air. We will all feel the effects of CO2 with warming climate, extreme weather events, water shortages and crop failures long after the last car stops polluting. Particulate pollution is the preserve of urban environments, and those burning dirty fuels indoors.

Last edited:
Did you here the bit when the caller said cyclists pushed him into the path of oncoming vehicles.
Yeah had someone stopping me over exactly something like that, i was going something like 20 he tried to pass me but it took him just to long. separate from the fact that the max speeds is 30 there and there was a traffic light upcoming. So he was thinking with his ego-brain

Do cars generate more pollution when stationary compared to say moving at 40mph?
I hear some people driving at very high rpm's would think that pollutes more, but if you drive normally like how the car is designed to drive at lower or high speed it is cleaner at lower speeds. (altough there are some parameters that needs to be taken in account, short drives are also bad because the engine does not get the change to fully heat up)

Last edited:
Top Bottom