Cycling good for health

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Nope. Sorry to be a misery but not near me. Leeds City Council appears to be eyeing up our local greenway to turn into a bus-only route.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Today the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence confirms cycling is good for health and road upgrades should prioritise cycling, walking and mass transport. https://www.nice.org.uk/news/articl...-and-public-transport-over-motorised-vehicles

New and upgraded roads should prioritise pedestrians, cyclists and public transport over motorised vehicles
nice.org.uk

Will this make any difference?
No the motorist brings in lots of revenue, what revenue does a cyclist bring in?

Nope. Sorry to be a misery but not near me. Leeds City Council appears to be eyeing up our local greenway to turn into a bus-only route.
Sympathy. But it's a new report, so not one your council could have taken into account (let's just pretend shall we?). Is the a consultancy still running? Can you submit this?

If NICE think cycling is good for health, they haven’t seen the state of my knees.
And you haven't (I hope!) seen the state of your heart.

Reactions: mjr
OP
OP
mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
No the motorist brings in lots of revenue, what revenue does a cyclist bring in?
Motorists might bring in revenue but they cost even more - estimates of the net cost vary between about 70p per car mile according to "Science for Environment Policy, European Commission DG Environment News Alert Service, edited by SCU, The University of the West of England, Bristol" to 52p per car mile (converted from €/km) in the Netherlands on

View: https://youtu.be/ayPDlDi9Ug4

Meanwhile, cycling benefits society by almost a pound a mile (€0.68/km = 96p/mile) in the Netherlands, or 22p a mile across the EU.

Government should prioritise the more profitable transport mode instead of focusing only on revenue - turnover is vanity, profit is sanity.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
The consultation was mentioned on Beeb Radio London this morning. I only caught a few mins but heard a caller being asked whether giving up their car was possible.

Apparently not because it is vital, especially for the 5 minute drive home when tired after the gym.

But apparently this is okay because the caller "offsets" that by walking when in London.

I stopped listening at that point.

snorri

Legendary Member
The consultation was mentioned on Beeb Radio London this morning. I only caught a few mins but heard a caller being asked whether giving up their car was possible.
I wish they would never ask that question! It need not be a black and white situation but the car, or no car question rather puts the interviewee in a defensive position throughout the interview.
I think few car owners would consider giving up car ownership but a fair proportion could be enabled to use their car less frequently.

screenman

Legendary Member

Apparently not because it is vital, especially for the 5 minute drive home when tired after the gym.

But apparently this is okay because the caller "offsets" that by walking when in London.

I stopped listening at that point.

Did you here the bit when the caller said cyclists pushed him into the path of oncoming vehicles.

lane

Veteran
No - in my area they are removing cycling infrastructure to improve throughput of motorised vehicles in order to reduce pollution because they have breached legal limits for pollution.

Top Bottom