Cycling helmets.Opinions please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

green1

Über Member
And you need to learn how to take comments in the manner they're intended - i.e. light heartedly! Sigh!!
In this section of the forum? :laugh: :whistle:

2433345 said:
Apologies, I hadn't realised that that was light hearted. If only there were reliable ways in which to communicate such things.
Apology acepted - my apologies in return if you thought it was a personal attack.

I have an easy going attitude on here. Can understand your response :whistle: - I know there are others on here that can be quiet "forceful" and forthcoming with their opinions!

OP
OP
RedFeend

RedFeend

Dumb question here from dumb blonde who has gone grey. What is 'legal requirement height?' I didn't even know lights were a legal necessity. Not to say I would ever go out in iffy visibility without them.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
On my outings, I noticed that the majority wear an helmet. The question I sometimes ask myself is:
Do they wear it for safety reasons?
Do they wear it because it is part of their attire?
It could also be both of course.
Me? I wear it because my son bought me one for Christmas so I feel obliged to wear it.
Would I buy one otherwise? Probably not.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
On my outings, I noticed that the majority wear an helmet. The question I sometimes ask myself is:
Me? I wear it because my son bought me one for Christmas so I feel obliged to wear it.
Would I buy one otherwise? Probably not.

Sorry but why do you feel obliged to wear it? Why couldn't you have just said Sorry I don't wear a helmet simple as that.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

Because there is a huge money-making industry telling them they should.
Because the Pro's wear them (you might want to check the safety impact of them being compulsary in say the TdF...).
Because it seems the sensible thing to do.
Because the motoring industry wants us to be liable for our injuries.

When challenged very few people have any evidence to support their decision.

Teuchter

Über Member
As most have said - up to you about wearing one but this is my own approach and the rationale behind it. Take it or leave it.

I wear a helmet when commuting (20 miles a day, on road) or riding any distance on the road. I never used to, however. My reasons for wearing one are:
* if there's a risk of ice and therefore the only time there's any real risk of having an accident on the road. Such a low speed accident is probably just the sort of thing a cycling helmet is designed to deal with.
* My mtb helmet has an unfashionable (on a road bike) peak which keeps sun and rain out of my eyes. A cap would also work for this, however.
* If I were to be taken out by a car (extremely unlikely as I feel this is), the helmet would most likely make no difference to safety but may make a difference to the outcome of the ensuing insurance claim. My brother in law was knocked off his bike by a car in 2000. While a helmet probably wouldn't (though may have) reduced the degree of his injuries, his failure to wear one did reduce his compensation payout. As his injuries directly resulted in having to change career, this was significant.

If I'm going for a relaxed cycle along mainly off-road cycle tracks with the kids, I don't wear one and don't require them to. I feel it does them good to not view cycling as inherently dangerous when it isn't.

If however I'm taking them on what may be considered proper off road mountain biking, we do wear helmets as this puts us in conditions where coming off is more likely and the sort of falls are exactly types that (in my opinion) helmets are designed to offer protection.

I do always wear eye protection. I consider eye protection when cycling to be far more important than a helmet.

OP
OP
RedFeend

RedFeend

The requirements are laid out in the Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989 (as amended). In brief they are:

Front Light

A white light, positioned centrally or offside, up to 1500mm from the ground, aligned towards and visible from the front. If capable of emitting a steady light, it must be marked as conforming to BS6102/3 or an equivalent EC standard. If capable of emitting only a flashing light, it must emit at least 4 candela.

Rear Light

A red light, positioned centrally or offside, between 350mm and 1500mm from the ground, at or near the rear, aligned towards and visible from behind. If capable of emitting a steady light it must be marked as conforming to BS3648, or BS6102/3, or an equivalent EC standard. If capable of emitting only a flashing light, it must emit at least 4 candela.
Thank you very much. I assume that the rules on when lights should be used are the same as for cars. I.E. poor visibility and within lighting up hours. Or maybe lighting up time went out with my youth.
Maybe the Highway Code holds the key. Perhaps I had better get off by BFB and look!

classic33

Leg End Member
2436266 said:
Sunset to sunrise have replaced lighting up time as far as I am aware.

And apparently poor visibility if you have lights with you.
Its anytime the sun is below the horizon. Which can be fairly often in areas of North Wales & Lake District.
For me it can mean Its lights on/off every other road I take.

On a recent club ride the rider in front of me hit the ground hard, and was wearing a helmet. The helmet was both compressed, scraped and cracked. There was of course have no evidence as to whether the helmet prevented any injury from impact (the rider was mildly concussed) but I know I wouldn't want my bare head scraping along the pavement in the way the helmet did. That said I've personally come off numerous times in my cycling life without a helmet and never hit my head.

I still continue to wear a helmet during club rides where I'll be riding in close proximity to other riders, and I ride with no helmet when riding by myself or if a helmet would cause inconvenience.

I came across a jogger the other evening on the way home who had twisted their ankle on the kerb, fallen and had a rather nasty cut along their forehead. They were confused and had no memory of the incident.Sat with them until their wife collected them, and took him to QAH for a checkover

There was of course have no evidence as to whether a helmet would have prevented any injury from this impact but I know he wouldn't have had his bare head scraping along the pavement in the way it did had he worn a helmet.

Can we deduce anything from this jogger's experience?

2436353 said:
Clingfilm lining

Totally OT

Friends of ours came home to find 16 year old son and girlfriend "in flagrante"

They were cool, calm, and collected....waited till the girl left and had a word about family planning.

His reply was "I'm not that stupid we used cling film"!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom