Cycling holiday ideas wanted

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
The mods may move this but if we can have "cycling in the Pyranees"......
I really enjoyed my week in Puerto Pollenca in October and got some good advice on here. My mate and I were due to go again this september but for some reason he wants to try somewhere different.
We don't do mountains.
Flat/hilly areas we can do.
40-50 miles per day
Somewhere warm.
I have discounted Menorca as there is only that one road through the centre of the island.
I looked at Brittany but the weather can be iffy in September.
Mainland Spain if not to hilly.
Any suggestions welcome.

The Rover

Guru
We are going on a family holiday to Crete in April, the cycling looks good so I’ll ride a few days whilst there. Seems a mix of flat and hilly although I’d prefer climbing. Good price as well for the holiday.

edit - I’ll be using this firm, they have a few routes if you look through the site.

https://cyclingcreta.gr/

Cheers

Last edited:

bigjim

Legendary Member
I did the Algarve in February a couple of years ago with this lot. https://pedalportugal.com/guided-cycle-tours-portugal/southern-explorer-tour/
Superb weather, great roads and people. A few climbs inland, but nothing too crazy IMO. Even went paddling.
2016-02-08 11.54.14.jpg

2016-02-08 14.35.58.jpg

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
I've holidayed a few times in Languedoc and always taken the bike with me. The Corbieres Hills and the Cathar Country (half way between Perpignan and Carcassonne) are great for cycling. I'd recommend places such as Cucugnan, Peyrepertuse, the Gorges de Galamus and the view of the Pyrennees from the Grau de Maury. The Corbieres Hills are full of wonderfully quiet roads that you will have all to yourself. Vineyards, gorges, hilltop villages and, in early Summer, the smell of wild broom on the breeze. Carry on Northwards across the Minervois area to Minerve and then East to St Chinian and there are more great roads to be ridden along to Cessenon sur Orb and Roquebrun (in the hills to the NW of Beziers). It is all scenic, quiet and with a Mediterranean climate. What's not to love? I'd return there in a flash. Just stay away from the bigger towns and roads on the coastal strip between Perpignan and Beziers.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Spain, mainland
Been looking into that but its a BIIIIIGG area.
Any suggestions? Bearing in mind we want 40+ miles without mountains

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I've holidayed a few times in Languedoc and always taken the bike with me. The Corbieres Hills and the Cathar Country (half way between Perpignan and Carcassonne are great for cycling. I'd recommend places such as Cucugnan, Peyrepertuse, the Gorges de Galamus and the view of the Pyrennees from the Grau de Maury. The Corbieres Hills are full of wonderfully quiet roads that you will have all to yourself. Vineyards, gorges, hilltop villages and, in early Summer, the smell of wild broom on the breeze. Carry on Northwards across the Minervois area to Minerve and then East to St Chinian and there are more great roads to be ridden along to Cessenon sur Orb and Roquebrun (in the hills to the NW of Beziers). It is all scenic, quiet and with a Mediterranean climate. What's not to love? I'd return there in a flash. Just stay away from the bigger towns and roads on the coastal strip between Perpignan and Beziers.
Yes, that looks beautiful.
Main problem is.....my mate works so we have 7 days. Getiing there and back would (I think) take a lot of that. Am I wrong there??

Top Bottom