Cycling holiday SOUTHERN Majorca anyone?,

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ultegra?

Was there a fault with the gears or was it just poor preparation? Did they fix it?

They all appear so busy in the late and early summer that I can see them cutting corners to turn bikes around for hire.

It was Easter time in 2018 and the shop wasn`t that bust given the amount of bikes still in the shop for hire - I would put it down to poor preparation. And yes, it was Ultegra. And to be honest, I couldn`t tell the difference between it and the tiagra on one of my other bikes. Sure, it may well weigh about 100 grammes left but if looking foe weight savings, I`d be better off losing a stone or two lol

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
When are you thinking of going back Dave?
Not sure yet. All depends on mine and Mrs Ds holidays. either April or October probably.

Reactions: GM

AuroraSaab

Veteran
We had our first family holiday in Majorca this year. No cycling but really enjoyed it and will go back. I was a bit surprised at the road manners of so many of the cyclists though - both individuals and groups. Cars and buses all stopped at crossings for pedestrians, whereas nearly every cyclist ignored them and shot past without a pause.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
We had our first family holiday in Majorca this year. No cycling but really enjoyed it and will go back. I was a bit surprised at the road manners of so many of the cyclists though - both individuals and groups. Cars and buses all stopped at crossings for pedestrians, whereas nearly every cyclist ignored them and shot past without a pause.
Terrible, I fully agree. The cycle lanes in Peurto Pollensa are clearly and regularly signposted 20 KPH (12MPH)......some cyclists, in groups or as individuals, must be doing double that. Complete ignorance. Someone will get hurt, maybe killed one day.

AuroraSaab

Veteran
Terrible, I fully agree. The cycle lanes in Peurto Pollensa are clearly and regularly signposted 20 KPH (12MPH)......some cyclists, in groups or as individuals, must be doing double that. Complete ignorance. Someone will get hurt, maybe killed one day.

I didn't mention the cycle lanes because, to be honest, I wasn't sure what the Majorcan regs were about using them - but I noticed that hardly any 'serious' cyclists actually used them. On the big road south of Alcudia, anyone in lycra was to be found on the main road going full tilt through a zebra crossing, even when cars had stopped. The cycle lanes were always empty except for occasional locals riding bikes with a basket on the front. I guess if there is a speed limit that explains why. No excuse for not stopping at crossings though or riding like an idiot though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom