Cycling Holiday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Hi all

Speaking to my best mate today and we fancied going on a holiday = basically cheap and in the UK.

We talked a while back about me getting him out cycling -he would fit one of my bikes and we wanted to go camping with a little stove. We're not into organised travelling as we're both very independent travellers so nothing too arranged would be fitting

Basically any ideas for places to go where we could pitch up, that has a bit of natural beauty and the main thing (haha) would be where to lock up/secure bikes if we're sleeping in the tent overnight. Preference for him would be somewhere that wasn't too hilly.

Has anyone got any suggestions?

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
ttcycle said:
Hi all

Speaking to my best mate today and we fancied going on a holiday = basically cheap and in the UK.

Somerset Levels and take in Glastonbury Tor.

OP
OP
ttcycle

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Maggot, I don't want to tempt fate -had two stolen last year so would sleep better knowing that both bikes are locked up to something immovable. I'm sure there are creative ways- the tree idea sounds good

JackE

Über Member
I have a 7ft Kryptonite cable (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kryptonite-Kryptoflex-Cable-Lock-213/dp/B000NOO3ZQ/ref=pd_sim_sg_4) and a decent padlock. It will easily lock 2 bikes to a tree or similar. It also folds up fairly small in my handlebar bag.

ASC1951

Guru
ttcycle said:
You don't say what time of year you are going, ttcycle, but if it is Spring you could do worse than Scotland.

I had a stunning ten days at Spring Bank a few years ago. Train to Oban, ferry to Mull, cycle round Mull, ferry out to LochBoisdale, cycle up the Hebrides to Harris getting little ferries for the wet bits, potter round Harris, ferry to Skye, cycle down Skye to Armadale, ferry to Mallaig, cycle back down the coast to Oban.

Nothing desperately hilly and lots of it very flat. Great scenery. Wild camping (although there are sites if you want) and bike security absolutely not a problem. You can shorten the route as much as you want by getting back to the mainland from most of the islands.

North Yorkshire?

Opportunities for rides to Scarborough, Whitby, up over the moors, down to Goathland, Hutton le hole and the infamous Rosedale Chimney if you're masochistic like that...or for easier leisurely ride from Wykeham forest down through Broxa, Troutsdale and Dalby forest trails, or over to Cropton (with a visit to Cropton microbrewery a must - but no more than half of a monkman's slaughter if you want to be able to clip-in without getting your legs in a knot!!). Lots of scope

Top Bottom