Cycling in Amsterdam... any tips what to be mindful of?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
I've no idea of your physical skills, Slick, but I wouldn't be too worried about the distances, so long as you give yourselves the time.
Yes, some of the paths can be busy, some more than others, so that can limit speed, but moreso for people who really want to go fast.
Big, urban areas can be slow, but that's only sensible anyway. I've never cycled through Amsterdam and have no desire to, but it's nothing to be scared of. Some of the areas around Amsterdam, especially on the way towards Utrecht are fabulous for cycling! From urban to rural in 60 seconds! ^_^

There's lots of daylight so you can take your time. Enjoy!
Thanks a lot for that, probably just the reassurance that I was looking for. :thumbsup:

We're all booked up for the overnight from Newcastle, so I'm really looking forward to it.

Police in NL already tweeting that they've handed out fines for using a mobile whilst cycling. Police in Groningen have come under fire for the following gem (now deleted):

"The first cyclist has been fined for holding a mobile phone while cycling. As well as getting a bad result from her doctor for her STI test, she got bad news from us, namely a €95 fine. Watch out, fines are being issued from today!’

In one of the reports I read, they stopped a guy in Amsterdam to fine him.
In his bag they found a loaded airsoft type gun - illegal, so he was brought to the station.
At the station they discovered his bike was stolen. ^_^^_^

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Right, so electronic device users are STI-carrying gunrunning bike thieves. Nice to see the politicians, police and media are playing fair in arguing for this new law... :rolleyes:

OP
OP
stoatsngroats
We’ve had 3 great cycling days in Amsterdam and Haarlem.
I have to say even having encountered an evening mass commute it was a wonderful experience which we will do again!
(Edited to complete my post which appeared to have been incomplete!)
I can add also, that Bruges to Damme route, amongst all those we have ridden is pretty worthwhile too. Only a short cycle, but great fun, and worked fantastically well on the raise ship.

Attachments

• 2C5F0091-B0C6-444F-B6FF-7053721B953E.jpeg
    2C5F0091-B0C6-444F-B6FF-7053721B953E.jpeg
    219.1 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
OP
OP
stoatsngroats
A98072F3-499E-424D-91B0-2E21054E18FA.jpeg

6A7C2E16-A5AD-4081-B822-B8A76CB28181.jpeg
The cycling infrastructure is supposed to be the envy of the world but...…….riding there scares the living poo out of me. The density of cyclists in the centre is incredible and they seem to have telepathic powers that enables them to avoid other locals on two wheels without any type of indicating.

Our route from near the main station, up to the 9 Straatjes, Vondelpark, and the out to a windmill on the outskirts, was absolutely fantastic, we settled in to the locals skilled cycling so quickly!

BTW, you will have an absolutely wonderful time.:okay:
We did!

Use a bell, perfectly normal over here.
We were pinging our bells every few hundred metres, as those Dam tourists were like headless chickens - it made us laugh so much that we were quickly in to the stride of local cyclists - even we could see easily those who had hired bikes, or were unsure of the infrastructure for cycling.

There is some lovely cycling outside Amsterdam if you find the city too hectic.
Having said all that, the public transport system is very efficient and makes it very easy to get around.

We did manage to get out of the city a few miles, and it was great - along the Amstel was beautiful.

Dutch nationals seem good at spotting non dutch nationals on bikes so don't panic. My GF doesn't really ride bikes much but we covered 60 miles when we went in January without any issue. Expect a disgruntled yo or hey if you get in someones way.

Keep right in the cycle lane and overtake on the left. Expect mopeds to come past you at crazy speeds. Don't stop in a cycle lane without looking behind first.

Yes, we managed 20 miles during the day, but had sitting time in Vondelpark, Rembrandts Square and Dam square too, there was a chap with a black Brompton, but we didn’t have time to stop and chat.

The following day we bussed to Haarlem, and cycled there too, for 10 miles, and finally, some time in Bruges, with a short trip to Damme, along the canal, again such a beautiful place to cycle.

It just shows what can be done if the impetus is there to change roads towards cycling.

We had the luxury of doing this whilst cruising, and we had zero issues with access and egress form the ship, nor when using public transport, and I would highly recommend this way of touring.

Slick

Guru
View attachment 476410
View attachment 476409

Our route from near the main station, up to the 9 Straatjes, Vondelpark, and the out to a windmill on the outskirts, was absolutely fantastic, we settled in to the locals skilled cycling so quickly!

We did!

We were pinging our bells every few hundred metres, as those Dam tourists were like headless chickens - it made us laugh so much that we were quickly in to the stride of local cyclists - even we could see easily those who had hired bikes, or were unsure of the infrastructure for cycling.

We did manage to get out of the city a few miles, and it was great - along the Amstel was beautiful.

Yes, we managed 20 miles during the day, but had sitting time in Vondelpark, Rembrandts Square and Dam square too, there was a chap with a black Brompton, but we didn’t have time to stop and chat.

The following day we bussed to Haarlem, and cycled there too, for 10 miles, and finally, some time in Bruges, with a short trip to Damme, along the canal, again such a beautiful place to cycle.

It just shows what can be done if the impetus is there to change roads towards cycling.

We had the luxury of doing this whilst cruising, and we had zero issues with access and egress form the ship, nor when using public transport, and I would highly recommend this way of touring.
I'm on the boat now waiting to leave Newcastle, I'm looking forward to the week amongst proper infrastructure.

Top Bottom