Cycling in Amsterdam... any tips what to be mindful of?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well have a couple of days there in a few weeks, with our Bromptons, and have a few things to see, like the 9 Stratjes area, Vondelpark, and the Amstel. Are there any things to watch out for, other than tram lines, and other cyclists (never thought I would write that!)?

We won’t be chasing around, but will take time to see the area, and the architecture etc.

We were in Paris last August, and rode for just a few miles, including along the Seine, and it was great, so I’m looking for your experiences, good or bad.
Thanks
SnG

Reactions: mjr

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I've only spent a few days each time on my trips there, five times over the last few years. It's a wonderful city. The cycling infrastructure is supposed to be the envy of the world but...…….riding there scares the living poo out of me. The density of cyclists in the centre is incredible and they seem to have telepathic powers that enables them to avoid other locals on two wheels without any type of indicating. Unfortunately, I don't have that secret skill. I've been less scared riding round Hyde Park Corner than negotiating Amsterdam in the rush hour.

And yes, never cross a tramline at an angle less than 25 degrees.

BTW, you will have an absolutely wonderful time.:okay:

Edit: Bike theft is a really big problem there. The locals take it extremely seriously. Some of their chains would anchor a super-tanker.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I had a bit of a skim through youtube but far too many videos are jokes, dull vids of busy routes or Americans basically freaking out at bikes as transport.

One did remind me that some use a fist pointing down from the elbow with upper arm horizontal as a stop signal (like our pothole signal but with a fist) rather than the UK wave or Italian raised hand, but it was too long a vid for just that nugget. Another summarised the need to get off the bike lane ASAP if you stop, else you will get tyre tracks across your face sooner or later. And if you park, lock it proper and make a note of where (save a gps waymark?) because one bridge full of bikes can look much like another after a beer!

Other than that, this seems a good summary of signs, except that square bike symbol signs (like the UK "this road is a shoot cycle route" one) or "fietspad" in white on blue means you can cycle there but don't have to (same meaning as our round bike symbol signs, which there mean you must use it instead of the carriageway).

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-cYZo5kToM

As already said....
Security should be a priority.
Use a bell, perfectly normal over here.
My commuting experience improved significantly with the addition of a mirror.
"Losing"your bike by forgetting where exactly you have left it is an issue!^_^
If cycling at night lights are advisable. You can get an on the spot fine (per missing light) if you can't sweet talk the police.
There is some lovely cycling outside Amsterdam if you find the city too hectic.

Having said all that, the public transport system is very efficient and makes it very easy to get around.

Enjoy!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Watch out for canals ! :laugh:

mjr

Use a bell. It's often seen as rude in the UK but people do respond to them in the Netherlands.
Moreover, if you're relying on the Vienna Convention to make your bike legal abroad (which is the easiest way), then it's a requirement to have one (and front/rear lights at night and a red rear reflector).

If you think you don't have anywhere to fit a usual town bike bell (which usually come in flat/MTB handlebar size, often can be bent out to classic road/touring bike bar or stem diameter but not modern "oversize" ones), consider https://www.singletrackbikes.co.uk/m11b0s464p69947/Acor_Headset_Spacer_Bell for your stem (cheaper clone https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BEHOGSST/holdsworth-gran-sport-headset-spacer-bell - I've used the Acor, though - I've been told some bikes now run electronics (Di2 maybe?) wires down a gap in the spacers which prevents use of these), or https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Lezyne/Classic-Shallow-Brass-Bell/FZ06 which rubber-bands to oversize bars. I have seen one which clips to a brake cable but I can't find it on sale now. Bar end bells are also available but seem expensive.

I don't agree that they're often seen as rude in the UK in general - it varies massively by area - but there's several other threads about that.

Jody

Stubborn git
Dutch nationals seem good at spotting non dutch nationals on bikes so don't panic. My GF doesn't really ride bikes much but we covered 60 miles when we went in January without any issue. Expect a disgruntled yo or hey if you get in someones way.

Keep right in the cycle lane and overtake on the left. Expect mopeds to come past you at crazy speeds. Don't stop in a cycle lane without looking behind first.

The main thing. Lock it or loose it!

Profpointy

Legendary Member
The main thing. Lock it or loose it!

Whilst I've not cycled there, I did notice that many rickety old bikes had locks on them whose value would have exceeded that of the bike many times over. I took that as a indication of the risk of bike theft, despite it being a very civilised place otherwise

mjr

Whilst I've not cycled there, I did notice that many rickety old bikes had locks on them whose value would have exceeded that of the bike many times over. I took that as a indication of the risk of bike theft, despite it being a very civilised place otherwise
The value of a bike used for transport is how much it's going to cost the owner to get where they're going otherwise (possibly a bus/train and/or late-night taxi fare) as well as the time and money needed to replace it, so you can't say for sure the value of the lock exceeded that of the bike.

But security-guarded (bewaakte) cycle parking (fietsenstalling), sometimes signed by a P under a ^ and a bike symbol, seems like a good idea to me :smile:

ETA: and yet again, Amsterdam uses different signs for things. For this, it's a bike symbol, a P and a :smile: :
640px-Zuidplein_Amsterdam%2C_fietsenstalling.jpg

(source)

Last edited:
Top Bottom