Cycling in Britanny

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

djmc

Über Member
I live in Quimper. This is fairly busy, but there isn't much traffic on the surrounding roads. It can be wet and it is fairly hilly. Most of the towns round here are in deepish valleys and once in them the only way to go is up, eg Quimper itself, Douarnenez, Chateaulin, Quimperlé etc. If you want flat try the Penmarch peninsula - Pays Bigouden.

I only know bits of it but the Brest Nantes canal looks quite interesting. As a canal it is flat, but it goes through some stunning scenery. I only know it on a road bike and it is rideable but not a terribly rapid surface, it would be best for a hybrid or MTB. Accomodation would be available in the towns etc along the way but I can't really suggest anywhere.

Other than the weather and the hills there is lots to see round here. Lots of white sand beaches, cliffs by the sea, picturesque villages and chapels. The roads are good and even those that lead directly from one town to another are not generally very busy. Cycling is very popular in Brittany both racing and touring and people are very friendly. I don't really know much about prices in England, but prices are much the same as the rest of France.

I don't have a recommended base but personally I would get the ferry to Roscoff and go inland to a point where I could easily reach the North, East and maybe South coasts. I'd think of maybe finding two bases which would allow you to cover a bigger area. There are lots of small municipal and private campsites about, you'll be spoilt for choice and won't be disappointed anywhere you go. As DJMC says, Quimper is lovely but quite busy, which I found a bit of a shock to the system after cycling elsehwere in Brittany.

AndrewClark

Veteran
Definitely check out the Breton Bikes website above. Kate & Geoff are lovely people, and even if you don't want to book one of their trips there is loads of information, routes & maps on their site.

Top Bottom